• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    To clarify a couple of things:

1. the "no politics" rule applies to partisan politics. I have no problem with—indeed, i encourage—discussions of "political science." Unfortunately, of course, it traditinally takes about 3 posts before such attempted discussions go off the rails and the thread gets locked down.

2. Isinbaeva's stance on gay rights has nothing to do with politics. But, of course, as with politics, this is a highly charged subject for some people and it rarely lasts long either.

In either case, the place for discussing such is the Things Not Track forum, not here.
    #1 I was going to post a purely political science topic today but decided it would run off the rails in three seconds.

#2 Her opinion on gay rights has nothing to do with the issue of Russian state-sponsored doping. You can agree with her on one and disagree with her on the other or vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    To clarify a couple of things:

1. the "no politics" rule applies to partisan politics. I have no problem with—indeed, i encourage—discussions of "political science." Unfortunately, of course, it traditinally takes about 3 posts before such attempted discussions go off the rails and the thread gets locked down.

2. Isinbaeva's stance on gay rights has nothing to do with politics. But, of course, as with politics, this is a highly charged subject for some people and it rarely lasts long either.

In either case, the place for discussing such is the Things Not Track forum, not here.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Otherwise, it would be a perpetual battleground with simmering resentment year round instead of only on Free Speech week and the cooling off period.
    You REALLY don't like that time, do you?! ;-)
    The fact that you and I - on opposite sides of most political issues - can get along so well should disabuse you of the necessity of rancor therein!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    It seems TheDondada wants to moderate the moderator... good luck with that.

GH is wise to ban political/religious/sexual content in the forum. Otherwise, it would be a perpetual battleground with simmering resentment year round instead of only on Free Speech week and the cooling off period.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDondada View Post
    A. I just simply want the moderator to do his job objectively!
    B. I can only presume that he is ok with some political topics as long as it ok with him.
    A. No such thing as 'objectivity' in opinion-based discussions.
    B. See A.

Leave a comment:

• TheDondada
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    . . . elsewhere . . .
    I have been here since Day One (and been put in time-out SEVERAL times), and by far the best feature of this board is gh's insistence on civility of discussion. That leaves many subjects off-limits, because so many people have a problem discssing certain subjects dispassionately.
    Sometimes the civility or lack thereof is allowed to be perpetuated. I just simple want the moderator to do his job objectively! This subject is clearly a political one even though the topic of the tread was an open question. We both agreed that the board rules existed and must be adhered to but when he turns a blind eye to certain subjects and members post, his credibility and objective approach becomes questionable. There is a saying that "silence means consent" I can only presume that he is ok with some political topics as long as it ok with him.
    For the record I don't give a darn what people do in their own privacy!!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    But seriously, I agree with what Flump had said earlier: by publicly stating her opinions on this subject, her view becomes something for T&F fans to discuss. She was one of the biggest names in athletics not long ago, IAAF athlete of the year, a potential Head of the Russian Federation, so we should be listening to what she has to say.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. You're making an exception for board rules that doesn't exist in the board rules. No political discussion outside of free speech day means no political discussion outside of free speech day, regardless of which athlete voices his/her political opinions.

Leave a comment:

• Retread
    replied
    This is a site for people who love T & F. Very few on this site enjoy reading hatred being spewed out.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
    Isi brought the damn thing here and in doing so made it a legitimate topic of conversation.
    I don't recall Isi posting here. Can you tell me what her username is?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    by publicly stating her opinions on this subject, her view becomes something for T&F fans to discuss.
    . . . elsewhere . . .
    I have been here since Day One (and been put in time-out SEVERAL times), and by far the best feature of this board is gh's insistence on civility of discussion. That leaves many subjects off-limits, because so many people have a problem discssing certain subjects dispassionately.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriella2
    replied
    Or rather, it wasn't nice knowing you (him/her/it), & I hope your (his/her/its) vacation is shite. :-)

But seriously, I agree with what Flump had said earlier: by publicly stating her opinions on this subject, her view becomes something for T&F fans to discuss. She was one of the biggest names in athletics not long ago, IAAF athlete of the year, a potential Head of the Russian Federation, so we should be listening to what she has to say.

Anyway, she said those comments ages ago, most sane people don't agree with her, and as a result most sane people lost respect for her. Its old news TheDondala, don't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    He may very well ban me but I am standing up for objective moderation.
    It was nice knowing you.

Leave a comment:

• TheDondada
    replied
    Originally posted by Seeksreal View Post
    Sexual orientation isn't and shouldn't be considered a political issue. It is something that a person has no choice in and is not a "lifestyle orientation". One is simply born that way and to express that people should be treated differently because of it is dehumanizing to those who are different from the mainstream ideals. Ideally, it shouldn't be an issue in sports either, but unfortunately it often is. When a prominent sports figure speaks out against a group of people the way Isinbayeva did,it is violating the spirit of athletics and good sportsmanship. That's neither politics, nor religion.
    I think people still have freedom of speech right? Isn't that what democracy is about? It's ok for a president of the free world to object to such lifestyle but not a Darn athlete that jumps with a pole and has zero power.
    This is exactly the point, this subject is clearly political and can easily decend into a political debate of freedom of speech vs human rights. If GH truly expect to say he moderates objectively then clearly he should now see that this is political.

Leave a comment:

• TheDondada
    replied
    Not everything she says warrant a discussion here. Has you may know she has made more glaring political statements too. Do those belong here? Sure not!! And this is why the moderator draw my wrath. He sure knows that this subject is a hot political issue at the very least in USA and should never be entertain here. Maybe the rules should be updated to political discussion ok as long as GH approve. He may very well ban me but I am standing up for objective moderation.
    Excuse my typo and grammatical error, this typing feature on the iPhone is to be blame.

Leave a comment:

• TheDondada
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy View Post
    Isi brought the damn thing here and in doing so made it a legitimate topic of conversation.
    Not everything she says warrant a discussion here. Has you may know she has made more glaring political statements too. Do those belong here? Sure not!! And this is why the moderator draw my wrath. He sure knows that this subject is a hot political issue at the very least in USA and should never be entertain here. Maybe the rules should be updated to political discussion ok as long as GH approve. He may very well ban me but I am standing up for objective moderation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X