Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "men's golf doesn't belong in the Olympics"

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/M...cs-8379178.php

I could not agree more. If there must be golf in the Olympics, make it with the non professionals.

Comment

The Olympics are skewed towards wealthy countries. In fact more than 60% of Olympic sports are for people who come from middle income and above families. Instead of reducing slots for sports like boxing, they should be removing golf and other sports like that

Comment

Better than baseball/softball!

Comment

Originally posted by mungo man View Post
          The Olympics are skewed towards wealthy countries. In fact more than 60% of Olympic sports are for people who come from middle income and above families. Instead of reducing slots for sports like boxing, they should be removing golf and other sports like that
          I wonder why....

Comment

No sport for which the ultimate championship is not the Olympics belongs in the Olympics in my view.

Comment

I would favor the inclusion of Putt-Putt (aka Miniature) golf.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                No sport for which the ultimate championship is not the Olympics belongs in the Olympics in my view.
                This argument is used a lot - takes out a bunch of sports - basketball, football (soccer), tennis, sailing, probably table tennis and sailing. You could even make an argument for athletics and swimming, as many say the World Championships now are better in those sports. Not much gonna be left.

Then the other argument is there should be no team sports because of nationalism. Then we should not have the rich people's sports, so equestrian and sailing go away. Then we are left with the combative sports - boxing - that's a good one - a sport designed to cause traumatic brain injuries.

Comment

The number of top men not going to the Olympics is an indication that the Olympics are secondary to mens golf and that it is not a great choice for the Olympics. Now that band width is less of an issue, I suppose that I am not so opposed because it will probably not knock out coverage for track and field. In fact, maybe it will leave more track and field to the web coverage which has been superb. It was always a major loss in quality and quantity when NBC tv coverage took over in the Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    This argument is used a lot - takes out a bunch of sports - basketball, football (soccer), tennis, sailing, probably table tennis and sailing. You could even make an argument for athletics and swimming, as many say the World Championships now are better in those sports. Not much gonna be left.
                    This may be an assumption on my part, but I imagine that the athletes in these sports would prefer an Olympic title over a World title.

Part of my opinion is the way the events have been covered on TV here in the US. I have a lot more tolerance for biathlon coverage since, I think, this is the ultimate event in that sport than I do for coverage of the latest version of the Dream Team, pro golfers and tennis players, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                      This argument is used a lot - takes out a bunch of sports - basketball, football (soccer), tennis, sailing, probably table tennis and sailing.
                      That still leaves over a dozen summer sports where an Olympic gold is considered the ultimate title of the sport... diving, wrestling, judo, track cycling, archery, gymnastics, fencing, hardcourt volleyball, rowing, weightlifting, modern pentathlon, swimming and track & field. And the case could be made for 3 or 4 more.

You could even make an argument for athletics and swimming, as many say the World Championships now are better in those sports. Not much gonna be left.
                      Definitely not for swimming and T&F. Every athlete in those two sports would prefer an Olympic gold medal over a World Championships gold. Most probably would even prefer one Olympic gold over 2 World Championship golds.

Comment

To say the WC in track or swimming is a bigger meet than the Olympics is daft. For the general public and sponsors it is not even close. In fact for most people the WC don't even exist. As for track officianados. The WC are nice but...

Comment

I can see golf evolving like the other pro sports that have been brought into the Olympics recently. You've seen it with basketball, tennis and cycling. An NBA title is still the holy grail for basketball players, but they also believe that they need at least one Olympic Gold medal to complete their resume, which is why you still have top tier players volunteering to play 24 years after the Dream Team took Barcelona by storm.

Initially, pro tennis players weren't too crazy about the Olympics, but now all of them want an Olympic Gold medal, and Roger Federer, who won Silver in London, laments the fact that he may never win one after he was forced to pull out of the Rio Olympics due to injury.

In cycling, the prestige of an Olympic Gold medal has gradually increased over the last 20 years since pros first competed and now you hear of some cyclists (non-GC contenders) using the Tour de France as preparation for the Olympics, and not only do the world's best cyclists compete in the traditional road race and time trial, but some have branched out into track cycling and mountain biking too.

What are the chances that the prestige of an Olympic Gold medal in golf will rise enough in future Olympics, so that the world's best golfers will be eager as eager to chase Gold as they are to chase victory at the Majors?

Comment

These guys want a gold medal like they want a fancy watch, car or whatever. It's there and...well why not.

But for men's basketball, tennis, golf if they got kicked out no one would really care. They have more important titles.

Cycling is different slightly mostly because it's only one day. And doesn't really interfere with the much more important tours. And besides Merckx never won a medal and no one doubts his greatness. Or Hinault, etc.
                            Last edited by cubehead; 08-10-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                              But for men's basketball, tennis, golf if they got kicked out no one would really care.
                              The members of the 2004 US men's basketball team would beg to differ. To not bring home Gold is humiliating, lest you think the 1992 Dream Team would have been content with Silver.

Cycling is different slightly mostly because it's only one day. And doesn't really interfere with the much more important tours.
                              You're probably right. They probably view it the same way they view other one-day races such as the World Championship or Paris-Roubaix. If it were a three-week tour, they wouldn't be so eager to do it.

And besides Merckx never won a medal and no one doubts his greatness. Or Hinault, etc.
                              That's because pros weren't allowed back in their day.

Comment

Working...
                              X