Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio cycling

Separate threads apropos for different sports? Current Events (since Things Not T&F will shut down when T&F begins, but maybe we can still talk other Rio sports, but not Pokémon Go?)

From the TV Coverage thread:

"The last 15 k of the woman's road cycling was mesmerizing. I won't give the results for those who haven't seen it yet. A terrible crash, an American on her own trying to win gold pursued by three cyclists, and it comes down to the wire. Great stuff."

"A carbon copy of the men's race(minus the American part). Whoever designed that course deserves a medal of their own. "

"I never paid much attention to cycling...until yesterday. Yesterday's crash of the Polish cyclist, cruising to an easy win and the drama of today's womens road race got my attention."

Annemiek van Vleuten, the Dutch woman who crashed while leading with less than 10K to go, was unconscious for "a considerable period of time" per USA TODAY's website, but Al Michaels just reported that her cycling federation said she appears to be OK.
    Last edited by DrJay; 08-07-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Nice interview with a gracious Mara Abbott. She was passed 11 seconds from the finish by my count. She should be proud of her effort.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        Annemiek van Vleuten, the Dutch woman who crashed while leading with less than 10K to go, was unconscious for "a considerable period of time" per USA TODAY's website, but Al Michaels just reported that her cycling federation said she appears to be OK.

The course was irresponsible. Those gutters were disastrous...that crash was the worse I've ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
          The course was irresponsible. Those gutters were disastrous...that crash was the worse I've ever seen
          I tend to agree. That downhill section was talked about ominously by Paul Sherwin and Christian Vande Velde. It's in a little rain forest and I'd wonder if the pavement isn't a bit damp/slick even without any precip. The gutters certainly make a bad crash much worse. That said, I looked at Annemiek van Vleuten's crash on replay and it looks like she locked her front brake before she hit the gutter and that sent her over the handlebars. But then, if it was a smooth road edge sans gutter, maybe she wouldn't have locked the brake.

Looks like the video was removed from the USA TODAY site.
          Last edited by DrJay; 08-07-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
            I tend to agree. That downhill section was talked about ominously by Paul Sherwin and Christian Vande Velde. It's in a little rain forest and I'd wonder if the pavement isn't a bit damp/slick even without any precip. The gutters certainly make a bad crash much worse. That said, I looked at Annemiek van Vleuten's crash on replay and it looks like she locked her front brake before she hit the gutter and that sent over the handlebars. But then, if it was a smooth road edge sans gutter, maybe she wouldn't have locked the brake.

Looks like the video was removed from the USA TODAY site.
            Exactly...those gutters gave riders no chance. Watching I kept thinking how horrible going into it would be. And confirmed in the men's and even worse in the women's. Most of the time you can just put the bike down on the side but...really bad.

Comment

The course was irresponsible.

I couldnt disagree more. Descents are as much a part of the sport as climbing. It's the Olympics for crying out loud, not some Tuesday night neighborhood crit. If you can't descend stick to the track - if you can handle the banking...

Whoever designed it deserves a medal of their own
              There are no strings on me

Comment

that crash was the worse I've ever seen
                Perhaps you haven't watched a lot of cycling but I've seen much worse of the roads of Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                  I couldnt disagree more. Descents are as much a part of the sport as climbing. It's the Olympics for crying out loud, not some Tuesday night neighborhood crit. If you can't descend stick to the track - if you can handle the banking...

Whoever designed it deserves a medal of their own
                  As a fellow cycling fan, I agree with you and DrJay. The best cyclists must simultaneously possess the cardiovascular engine of the world's best distance runners and the fearlessness and bike handling skills of the world's best X-gamers.

Comment

I just talked with a woman that I ride with occasionally; she once won the Senior-class (i.e., 35+) Women's Road Race and is a decade younger so we are pretty even and ride well together. She said that after the crashes both days she could not really focus on the race afterwards, despite how compelling they were. Abbott had done an excellent job of holding off the chase for the first 10km of the chase but the last 2500m lost time too quickly (I think that she was cramping a little bit). Unfortunately, she went from Gold to No Medal in those 11 seconds.

Unfortunately, the geography of the region was such that they had to come down the steeper sections and there was really no way to easily avoid it if they wanted to use that section and loop.

Since I was a climber, the danger of the descents was a reason that I stopped racing at a semi-high level.

Comment

Chris Boardman's thoughts....to each his own....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043xxrw

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/sp...lts-watch.html
                      Last edited by cubehead; 08-08-2016, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Yesterday's carnage in the men's race.....Richie Porte, fractured scapula; Vincenzo Nibali, fractured collarbone (broken in two places); Sergio Henao, fractured pelvis and chest trauma; Geraint Thomas, injuries to back but no reported fractures.

Comment

I am just a neighborhood biker.. that descent made me nervous just watching.

Comment

Just watched the last 20 minutes or so of the women's race.

Wow! I'm not a cycling fan, but that was worth every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              Perhaps you haven't watched a lot of cycling but I've seen much worse of the roads of Europe.

I've watched cycling for 25 years and never seen anything as horrible as that. Downhills are part of the sport but they don't have open sewers in the European roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X