Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of a tangent, but 2016(and 2012) USA head coach Bob Bowman has officially joined the creep crowd. Actually, he joined in 2011, USA Swimming was notified, and he was still named olympic coach. Twice.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/1...opriate-texts/
    There are no strings on me

Comment

I know there are many good-guy coaches who frequent here (and even more I'm sure I don't know about), but the profession as a whole—across all sports where men coach women—really is taking a huge hit, largely where it's not warranted I'm sure. Sad. (no connotations attached to that last)

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if Arizona State fires him. This was the quote from ASU president when discussing the scandals at Michigan State and Penn State.

"It's zero tolerance,” ASU president Michael Crow said. “You can't always prevent something from happening, but you can take immediate action the second you hear about it.

"If we heard from someone complaints of physical abuse, sexual abuse, inappropriate conduct, the first thing we would do is investigate," he said. "If it turns out these things were true, all those people would be turned over to the police or fired."
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          I know there are many good-guy coaches who frequent here (and even more I'm sure I don't know about), but the profession as a whole—across all sports where men coach women—really is taking a huge hit, largely where it's not warranted I'm sure. Sad. (no connotations attached to that last)
          There's been a big shift in just the last 5 years. As one can imagine, coaches often grow to have great affection for their athletes, and new PRs get met with big hugs all around, boys and girls. About 5 years ago one of my gPVers made 12', which was her big goal. She jumped off the pit and gave me a huge hug and kiss, and I hugged her back and kissed her forehead. The parents were there, beaming and loved that I cared so much about her. But then the head of school got a call about 'sexual harassment' occuring and that was the end of any kind of affection. Peppy high-fives now. I get it, and there certainly are coaches who have crossed the line, but the days of open affection are going fast. It's probably for the good, in the long run.

Comment

Working...
          X