Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

silly english/metric argument No. 23421677

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • silly english/metric argument No. 23421677

    What I meant to say was that the HJ and PV were essentially left out, as is NBC's wont. In other words, we get a summary and see a couple of jumps/vaults. It totally ruins the whole viewing experience.

    And (since I'm bitching) I wish they'd display metric heights in addition to English.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bob Duncan View Post
    What I meant to say was that the HJ and PV were essentially left out, as is NBC's wont. In other words, we get a summary and see a couple of jumps/vaults. It totally ruins the whole viewing experience.

    And (since I'm bitching) I wish they'd display metric heights in addition to English.
    why on earth would they speak a foreign language to an audience that largely wouldn't understand it? They're in the tough business of trying to keep customers, not lose them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bob Duncan View Post
      What I meant to say was that the HJ and PV were essentially left out, as is NBC's wont. In other words, we get a summary and see a couple of jumps/vaults. It totally ruins the whole viewing experience.
      That's the way they treat all field events, not just the high jump and pole vault.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gh View Post
        why on earth would they speak a foreign language to an audience that largely wouldn't understand it? They're in the tough business of trying to keep customers, not lose them.
        Exactly. Those of us that prefer metric can easily convert those numbers.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gh View Post
          why on earth would they speak a foreign language to an audience that largely wouldn't understand it? They're in the tough business of trying to keep customers, not lose them.
          Like it or not, field events are going metric, the same way the track races did. Why not cater to both audiences?

          Comment


          • #6
            Not in terms of big-time presentation (including TV) they aren't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh View Post
              Not in terms of big-time presentation (including TV) they aren't.
              Isn't that the point? TV is lagging, catering to a rapidly decreasing demographic. As long as they stay Imperiocentric, they are disserving the inevitable.
              As I've said before, I am wholly Imperiocentic also, but that doesn't mean I am not aware that I am the dinosaur whose extinction is imminent.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                That's the way they treat all field events, not just the high jump and pole vault.
                We got a lot more out of the PV (men and women) and HJ(women) than any of the other events which were basically just showing a winning toss or jump. I guess they could eliminate the interviews after the races to get in more field events.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Isn't that the point? TV is lagging, catering to a rapidly decreasing demographic. As long as they stay Imperiocentric, they are disserving the inevitable.
                  As I've said before, I am wholly Imperiocentic also, but that doesn't mean I am not aware that I am the dinosaur whose extinction is imminent.
                  The younger audience is going to be largely imperiocentric.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In a roundabout way, this smells Kafkaesque!!
                    You know, his story of the guy accused of a crime, but not told what the crime is!!
                    LOL

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                      The younger audience is going to be largely imperiocentric.
                      Florida HS is already metric; you KNOW the rest of the country will follow our lead!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Florida HS is already metric; you KNOW the rest of the country will follow our lead!
                        You know the saying---What happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas---?
                        Well, let's hope---in this case---the same goes for Florida!

                        LOL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Isn't that the point? TV is lagging, catering to a rapidly decreasing demographic. As long as they stay Imperiocentric, they are disserving the inevitable.
                          As I've said before, I am wholly Imperiocentic also, but that doesn't mean I am not aware that I am the dinosaur whose extinction is imminent.
                          do let us know when the kids in your classes start referring to weather in Celsius, or what their height/weight is.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            at any rate, let's not pollute this thread with iteration No. 23423534 of the metrication wars

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gh View Post
                              at any rate, let's not pollute this thread with iteration No. 23423534 of the metrication wars
                              What if that was Ms. Suhr's beef with USATF all along? Maybe her ultimatum was to switch all field events at the USATF championship to imperial, or she was out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X