Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    as noted many times before, U.S. field eventers know the marks in their event in meters
    But he just as obviously knows it in Imperial also, so I do see the fact that he unhesitatingly said '18.29' as significant. And unlike Ms. Morris, you KNOW he knows all his marks in metric. As I have said before, I prefer Imperial, because that's what I grew up with, but I also that the current generation of HSers and collegians are dealing with metrics now, and it's just a matter of time before the total conversion is over and we dinosaurs are sitting 1.83m deep!

Comment

your turn Garry

Comment

I officiate the pole vault at collegiate meets, mainly Wisconsin-Madison. Most of the freshmen do not know much about metric and I usually have to provide a translation when we do opening heights and progressions. However, year-by-year, within the context of their event, most of them get to know what the metric means. I suspect that the decathletes have the greatest exposure because they have the vault with a range of 3.75-5.5 meters, the LJ with 6.5-8m, the shot, in the range of 10-16 meters, discus and jav from 40-70m, the HJ 1.5-2.2m, and of course the static track distances (since they are static, it does not tell them a whole lot because they are not trying to translate back and forth).

And when the Americans compete and work with non-Americans, they need to be conversant in metric when talking about the field events.

As for me, since I run the track Metric-Imperial translations are used as well as the HJ and PV that I do the most. I prefer metric for the heights. Then the meets have the metric so I generally understand the distances for other field events. Often, I am best in understanding performances in metric, but there are certain ranges, 200ft for the discus and 300ft for the jav that I flip to. However, the ten percent difference between metric and yards makes for easy transfer back and forth.

I vaguely remember watching Beamon's jump in Mexico City, which was listed in metric and I quickly knew how stupendous the jump was (I was 18).
        Last edited by 26mi235; 01-10-2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I prefer working horizontal jumps in metric. Easier to record and place and most measuring devices are metric... but I still mentally convert to Imperial.

Comment

meanwhile, The Big Island is being flooded with lava. An AP story in the paper this morning includes a report of a lava fountain 328-feet high. The precision with which they measured that! I'm surprised they didn't call it 328-1.

Comment

Is it a record-eligible volcano or eruption? I'll get excited about 328, or 328-1, when that is confirmed. I need to know wind speed, elevation, testing, etc.

As for metric and imperial measures, I am for both. Bilingual is good.

Comment

meanwhile, The Big Island is being flooded with lava. An AP story in the paper this morning includes a report of a lava fountain 328-feet high. The precision with which they measured that! I'm surprised they didn't call it 328-1.
                Some of those retro-calculations are hysterical. I wouldn't touch that with a 3.048 meter pole!

Comment

They obviously were not using a Big Gold Book

Comment

Working...
                  X