Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplantis and his nationality (split)

Damn! I haven't been this proud to be Swedish since Abeba Aregawi won gold in Moscow 2013. Born, raised and still lives in the United States (where he will probably stay). As a bonus, he doesn't speak Swedish and is coached by his American father. Yay for Sweden! We are so much better than Turkey. After all, we don't force the athletes to change names. Be careful, though, Armand: if you ever test positive for something, we will pretend like you were never Swedish. Just ask Ludmila Engquist.

Originally posted by Stefan of Sweden View Post
    Just ask Ludmila Engquist.
    Vem?

Comment

Damn! I haven't been this proud to be Swedish since Abeba Aregawi won gold in Moscow 2013. Born, raised and still lives in the United States (where he will probably stay). As a bonus, he doesn't speak Swedish and is coached by his American father. Yay for Sweden! We are so much better than Turkey. After all, we don't force the athletes to change names. Be careful, though, Armand: if you ever test positive for something, we will pretend like you were never Swedish. Just ask Ludmila Engquist.
      Turkey? Swedish citizen since birth!

Comment

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
        Vem?
        Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not... If not: a former Russian hurdler who married a Swedish guy, represented Sweden from 1996 onward (won gold for Sweden in Atlanta 1996). Was loved by almost everyone until she tested positive for an anabolic steroid while training for a career in bobsleigh. Now, people here pretend like she never existed. The "new Swedes" are only Swedish as long as they are successful. When they do something wrong they revert back to being Russians/Americans/Ethiopians, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LNO View Post
          Turkey? Swedish citizen since birth!
          Yeah, his mother was born in Sweden... Like I said, he has lived his entire life in his birth country (the US), is coached by his American father, doesn't speak Swedish. About as Swedish as the Kenyans currently representing Turkey are Turks. It's a farce, in my opinion. The only reason he represents Sweden is because we're stupid enough to throw tax-dollars on faux-Swedish athletes, and to never having to compete in the US Championships to get on the Olympic Team.

Comment

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not... If not: a former Russian hurdler who married a Swedish guy, represented Sweden from 1996 onward (won gold for Sweden in Atlanta 1996).
            oh I know who she was alright....a vemale hurdler who beat Gail Devers in Tokyo '91...

Comment

Yeah, his mother was born in Sweden... Like I said, he has lived his entire life in his birth country (the US), is coached by his American father, doesn't speak Swedish. About as Swedish as the Kenyans currently representing Turkey are Turks. It's a farce, in my opinion.
              Do you know for a fact that he doesn't speak Swedish? How many family trips do you think he took to Sweden long before he ever thought about competing in international track and field?

The only reason he represents Sweden is because we're stupid enough to throw tax-dollars on faux-Swedish athletes, and to never having to compete in the US Championships to get on the Olympic Team.
              You see a lot of American athletes (eg. Ofili sisters, Jasmine Camacho-Quinn, etc.) competing for other countries only because they know they can't cut it at the USATF Championships, but does any thinking person really believe that Mondo is afraid of competing against American pole vaulters? Isn't it more likely that Americans are more afraid of him and grateful that he chose to compete for Sweden, so as not to lock up one of our pole vault slots for the next 15 years? Also, why is it any less noble for an athlete to chase money being offered by a national governing body than money being offered by a shoe company? Are you a communist or something?

Comment

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
                oh I know who she was alright....a vemale hurdler who beat Gail Devers in Tokyo '91...
                Well, you asked "Vem?"

In any case, she isn't very popular here anymore. But I guess good ol' Benny Boy isn't very popular in Canada anymore, either. Or perhaps there are some who still believe he was framed by the pesky Americans LOL

Comment

Duplantis and his nationality (split)

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  Also, why is it any less noble for an athlete to chase money being offered by a national governing body than money being offered by a shoe company? Are you a communist or something?
                  A government using tax dollars to pay an athlete to compete professionally is much closer to communism than a shoe company doing the same.

Comment

18.99, you miss that when you have competition between countries, you take away the ability to impose the communism and make it a competitive situation. So, no, I disagree it is much more like competition and less like communism (which requires control on the country of choice).

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                      A government using tax dollars to pay an athlete to compete professionally is much closer to communism than a shoe company doing the same.
                      There's absolutely nothing communist about an athlete selling his services to the highest bidder regardless of who the money comes from. Communism would be Sweden forcing Mondo to compete for it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        There's absolutely nothing communist about an athlete selling his services to the highest bidder regardless of who the money comes from.
                        I agree, where the athlete is concerned. But there is another side of the transaction, the bidder.

Let me see ... a non-governmental corporation paying an athlete, vs. a government paying an athlete. One is farther away from communism, and closer to capitalism, than the other.

And guess which types of governments have been most prolific over the past century in spending government money on developing and supporting world class athletes?
                        Last edited by 18.99s; 04-04-2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

we now return you to your regular non-ideological programming.....

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                            I agree, where the athlete is concerned. But there is another side of the transaction, the bidder.
                            I disagree, the bidder has nothing to do with defining communism.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              we now return you to your regular non-ideological programming.....
                              bump (with extra emphasis)

Comment

Working...
                              X