Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger - More Problems

Just reported that Tiger had another back surgery today. Very sad. You can count out any comeback from him after 4 back surgeries. For the GOAT I still lean towards Hogan or Nicklaus (favor Hogan), but at his peak in 2000-01, I think Tiger was the best ever for a brief period of time.

I know, and do, defer to Der Bamster on all things golf (not that he's ever lifted a finger to cure my slice) but wouldn't you say for a 14 year period he was the best (rather than "a brief period)?

(with the other 2, in your opinion, better comparing their full careers to his)?

Comment

No, I'd say it was about, at best, 1998-2002, but especially in 2000-01. Its all subjective, of course. It certainly was less than a 14-year period - 1997 Masters to maybe 2007. He won his last major at 2008 US Open with the bad leg, but was not near his best by then.

As to your slice, I would take two weeks off, and then give up the game altogether.

Comment

About that slice...the first time I played golf was circa 1954 with a group of fellow shave tails at Frankfurt am Main, Germany, reportedly one of only two operating golf courses in the country.
        With a baseball background, as John Daly sez, "I just gripped it and ripped it" no slice, no hook. As I recall, I shot a 92 and with any putting skill/luck at all would have shot mid 80s.

One of my group had been a varsity golfer at Yale. He though he had discovered a diamond in the rough. He showed me how to grip the club, how to stand, to keep my elbow in, etc.. in no time he had me shooting in the low 100s. I developed the banana ball of all banana balls.
        Early in my geological career, I played many rounds with a fellow geologist who had been a varsity golfer at OAMC (now OKState). He was a genuine sub-par golfer who made more money on weekends hustling public courses than he did at his professional job.
        Despite his best efforts, I never lost the slice and remained a 90s golfer whether I play once a week or once a year.
        After the knee replacement, it is painful to swing a club and I gave up without bam's encouragement.

Comment

As an orthpaedist, my goal for Tiger would be to try to have a pain-free life, without chronic back pain, and be able to play with his kids, maybe do some light exercise, and be able to enjoy life without debilitating pain. I would forget 18 majors, or trying to win again on the PGA Tour.

Comment

Lonewolf has more dimensions than string theory !...

Golf is the most insufferable pass time I have ever been forced to endure. And it isn't just me; it is as torturous for me to watch others as it is for me to play .

I do have a few friends that are hot and heavy for this black hole of a pass time, all of them swear that Tiger at his peak was unbeatable.
            Last edited by user4; 04-21-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I was certainly a Tiger fan in his hey-day, but if he's never in another PGA event, that's fine with me. I miss the excitement he brought to the game, but I won't miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I was certainly a Tiger fan in his hey-day, but if he's never in another PGA event, that's fine with me. I miss the excitement he brought to the game, but I won't miss him.
                Having said that, he has 5 years if he still wants to match Jack's record of 18 majors. Jack was 46 when he won his last (1986 Masters)...

...Then again, if he is really a gambler, he could continue until he is 59 (fat chance, I'd bet), when Tom Watson was a playoff away from his 6th jug and 6 weeks away from his 60th birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                  Having said that, he has 5 years if he still wants to match Jack's record of 18 majors. Jack was 46 when he won his last (1986 Masters)...

...Then again, if he is really a gambler, he could continue until he is 59 (fat chance, I'd bet), when Tom Watson was a playoff away from his 6th jug and 6 weeks away from his 60th birthday.
                  That's somewhat of a specious argument. I may be off slightly here, but I recall seeing the stats on pro golfers who had won majors after age 40 and the only one to win more than 1 was Hogan, with 3. Nicklaus won at 46, but he had not won a major since 1980 - a 6-year gap.

Yes, its not a very athletic sport, but its enough of one that even at age 40 you're on the downside.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

What about Arnold Palmer ?

Comment

Palmer actually had a very short window of winning major championships - 1958-64. He did win 7 majors in those years, but then Nicklaus came along. Palmer was close multiple times after 1964 but never won another major.

For all Palmer's charisma, appeal, and being called the King, it is often forgotten what a great player he was. In addition to all those majors, which puts him about 6-7 all-time, he won over 60 PGA Tour events in his career, trailing only Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, and Tiger. Heady company. Palmer was a great, great player. And a better man. I loved the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                        What about Arnold Palmer ?
                        He won his last major in 1964 at age 34.

Comment

bam

i'd agree Masters is out as too long & 10th/11th/18th are brutes, but a non windy brit Open or tight, shortish USOpen are still viable for 10y with his athleticism if pain free

the main problem which has cost him at least coupla majors just in last few attempts when in contention when relatively pain-free, is lack of fire & too much safety-first

he was leading at kiawah after 2 rounds & in/near lead at ?merion & in last pairing last round of muirfield & had bad luck when hitting a flag stick at augusta

he needs to work on his mental focus more than his body when his back is better

a more aggressive approach to course management

Comment

Originally posted by el_drick View Post
                            i'd agree Masters is out as too long & 10th/11th/18th are brutes, but a non windy brit Open or tight, shortish USOpen are still viable for 10y with his athleticism if pain free
                            Four knee surgeries, including a bone bruise and microfracture - he 100% has osteoarthritis in that left knee - his critical knee. Four back surgeries and a fused disc.

Not much athleticism left when you consider those two things. Even with all he once had.

Comment

his knee is not the problem

it's his back & husbanding it around it around of 3-woods/2-irons like medinah/hoylake

you forget that in that semi-pro/invite event in december, he set ~ birdie record !!!

the mind was there for assault, but L-Spine not ready for it despite endless birdies/bogeys

we have to wait for '17

( as for current guys, i do think justin thomas is a superstar in making, but played as absolute chump at augusta, worst flaying of ball from a likely multiple likely major winner, who had chance at sawgrass in '16 )

Comment

Working...
                              X