Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revamped Vancomycin to fight superbugs?

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40091179

Originally posted by Atticus
    We've come a long way since Earl Woods' prophesying his son to be the new Messiah.

He got his 'larger forum' . . .
    I think you posted this on a wrong thread.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
      I think you posted this on a wrong thread.
      Indeed!

Comment

back to the topic, the importance of antibiotics can not be overstated, There probably is not more than 2 of us over the age of 40 that is not still alive due to these miracle potions.

I have an example from my own life recently, I came down with an ear ache. I thought to myself, hey Im busy and Im a big strong guy, Ill get over this .. well a week later it got worse allot worse. It was so bad that the pain became very sharp and communicated to me that Im in trouble here. So I went into an emergency room. The MD told me the name of the exact infection I had and I asked him, could I have survived this one without meds ?.. He said, user4, a mere 60 years ago people died of these infections. He gave me some ear drops and a prescription antibiotic, within 3 days I was ready to post like a champ on trackandfieldnews.com forum !
        Last edited by user4; 05-31-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
          The MD told me the name of the exact infection I had and I asked him, could I have survived this one without meds ?..
          ?Mastoiditis

Comment

As a rural child of the Depression, we pretty much survived on home remedies. Aside from school injections, I do not recall ever taking any medication (OK, castor oil) or seeing a doctor (caveat: I was quarantined for measles during a track team trip to Denver)or dentist until I entered the US Army.
            I twice declined pain medication for a broken foot but did accept pain medication after knee replacement... apparently I did not get hooked.. I do not even take aspirin...maybe because I never get headaches.
            Last edited by lonewolf; 05-31-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              ...I do not even take aspirin...maybe because I never get headaches.
              Like General Mattis, you dont get headaches.. you give them !

Comment

Lol....

Comment

potent new antibiotic?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...red-through-ai

Comment

That's pretty impressive, and the use of machine learning for that certainly makes sense. Not sure we need new families of blood pressure meds, or cholesterol-lowering drugs, but entirely new antibiotics are very much needed.

Comment

the sad part is that if it indeed works it'll soon be massively over-prescribed, creating yet another family of superbugs

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        the sad part is that if it indeed works it'll soon be massively over-prescribed, creating yet another family of superbugs
                        Skynet has a solution to that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          Don't know if it/these are oral or IV. If IV, they'd pretty much only be used in a hospital setting and hospital pharmacies would have ultra-strict controls on who could order it, like limited to infectious disease doctors. Of course, the pig and cattle farmers would find some way to juice their animals with it.....

Comment

Of course, having patients infected with multi- multi- drug-resistant bacteria put on a pair of VaporFlys might help some.

Comment

Working...
                            X