Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I read the news today, oh boy...." Sgt. Pepper turns 50

Lost amid Pre and the NCAA Regionals was the fact that "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" turned 50 last Friday. It was released on May 26, 1967.

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/01...s-masterpiece/

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Lost amid Pre and the NCAA Regionals was the fact that "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" turned 50 last Friday. It was released on May 26, 1967.
    And my 16yo self was there at the record store on Day 1 (not sure my burg got it that early - I think it was early June) to buy it and play it over and over and over, etc., till my parents begged for respite. Some the songs were dorky (Little Help, Mr. Kite, 64) but the others mesmerized me. I think Rubber Soul remains my favorite collection of songs, but Sgt. Pepper was everything it was hyped to be, for me at least.

Comment

I bought the album, maybe 12 years after it was released because I was just starting to care about rock and roll. I liked it plenty back then... but now I have heard so much of it, I turn the dial at the slightest sound from it.

Im sorry, some things get old after 1000 hearings.

Comment

http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Comment

As a 36 year old Major in 1967, I was completely unaware of Sgt. Pepper... until just now... I played boooond's link to get an inkling of what we are talking about..
          Last edited by lonewolf; 06-01-2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
            I bought the album, maybe 12 years after it was released because I was just starting to care about rock and roll. I liked it plenty back then... but now I have heard so much of it, I turn the dial at the slightest sound from it.

I never liked rock and roll. Still don't. But the Beatles were musical geniuses. I liked and appreciated their music when it was new, and I still enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post

Man...I must be one of the youngest members on this board at 60. I was 10 when the album came out and I listened to it first right around 1971-72 when I entered HS. I've never over listened to it by any means but it does have some fantastic music on it.

Comment

I too bought it immediately!
                Was a hippie in SF then, sharing an apt with a guy named Ivan.
                We lived near the Montgomery St financial district, and one window was right at sidewalk level.
                Long story short, we got stoned, listened to Pepper all night, and in the morning, around 7:30 as people walked by on their way to work (suits & ties, skirts & blouses), we stuck our heads out the window and sang----

GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING

at the top of our lungs!

Just a couple of long haired freaks doing our thing!!

True story!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  I was completely unaware of Sgt. Pepper... until just now... I played boooond's link to get an inkling of what we are talking about..
                  [in my best McEnroean intonation] YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!

Comment

Semi serious... I think I have heard the phrase Sgt Pepper but did not know it had anything to do with the Beatles.. who I have heard of.. and yet, I have managed to lead a full, diversified, blissfully ignorant life. .

Comment

and yet, I have managed to lead a full, diversified, blissfully ignorant life.
                      How you could go through such a richly-lived life in modern America without slamming full tilt into all things Beatlean is BEYOND me!

Comment

Semi serious... I think I have heard the phrase Sgt Pepper but did not know it had anything to do with the Beatles.. who I have heard of.. and yet, I have managed to lead a full, diversified, blissfully ignorant life. .
                        having wasted my teen years in the late 70s early 80s listening to Beatles nonsense all I can say is that gloating is one thing but you dont have to rub it in !!!
                        Last edited by user4; 06-02-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

utterly fucking brilliant piece on the subject from Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...aign=060117_11

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            utterly fucking brilliant piece on the subject from Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...aign=060117_11
                            That's a great piece. An uncle who was much younger and cooler than my parents gave me the album when it came out, and it has been a big part of the soundtrack of my life ever since.

Comment

Is Sgt. Pepper a Canadian? One relative thinks so:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...pper-1.4141074

Comment

Working...
                              X