• Gea Johnson, 1990 NCAA Hept Champ, Gets 3rd PED Suspension

1994 - T&F (Hept) - anabolic steroids - 4 years
    1997 - Weightlifting - epitestosterone - 2 years
    2016 - Cycling - modafinil - 21 months

I wonder what's next.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Fo...256de8d9850bfc

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr/09/sports/sp-oly09

https://www.usada.org/gea-johnson-re...ping-sanction/

since the USADA bulletin makes no mention of previous transgressions, one has to wonder if that fell through the cracks of time and they were blissfully unaware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
      1994 - T&F (Hept) - anabolic steroids - 4 years
      1997 - Weightlifting - epitestosterone - 2 years
      2016 - Cycling - modafinil - 21 months

I wonder what's next.
      Gea wiz that's one determined lady.

Comment

Dope springs eternal.

Comment

Originally posted by master po View Post
          dope springs eternal.
          perfect!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
            Gea wiz that's one determined lady.
            I really liked "Gea wiz"

Comment

She never had a reported doping positive while competing in bobsled.

You'd think that by age 49, a 21-month ban would be functionally equivalent to a lifetime ban, but that may not be the case with this particular athlete.
              Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 07-08-2017, 04:50 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Oh wow! I read the USADA release, not realizing the history. I found it interesting that she got modafinil from someone other than a doctor? Since USADA and the DEA are bffs now, seems like there should be some kind of criminal investigation related to this as well...

Comment

The question was raised on Facebook... the previous busts happened prior to the formation of USADA. Was USADA given the authority to consider bans that predated their existence when adjudicating ADRVs that happened after their creation?

Comment

Apropos of nothing... Gea Johnson is the only female I have ever called a time foul on in HJ....it was at Duke Univ , circa 1990, must have been NCAA hep...I remember her a being a rather contentious athlete...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                      Oh wow! I read the USADA release, not realizing the history. I found it interesting that she got modafinil from someone other than a doctor? Since USADA and the DEA are bffs now, seems like there should be some kind of criminal investigation related to this as well...
                      Modafinil is available from online pharmacies with no prescription.

Comment

Originally posted by bhall View Post
                        Modafinil is available from online pharmacies with no prescription.
                        Is that legal in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          since the USADA bulletin makes no mention of previous transgressions, one has to wonder if that fell through the cracks of time and they were blissfully unaware of it.
                          USADA has a 10-year statute of limitations for prosecutions. I'm having a hard time translating legalese into english, but it may be that the same limit applies to incorporating earlier cases into current ones for punishment. Or it may be that the increased severity of punishment for second and third offenses was adopted after the 1990s cases. (That ex post facto thing, like three-strike laws) Maybe PVP or someone else well-versed in these protocols could address this.
                          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
                            USADA has a 10-year statute of limitations for prosecutions. I'm having a hard time translating legalese into english, but it may be that the same limit applies to incorporating earlier cases into current ones for punishment. Or it may be that the increased severity of punishment for second and third offenses was adopted after the 1990s cases. (That ex post facto thing, like three-strike laws) Maybe PVP or someone else well-versed in these protocols could address this.
                            USADA came into existence circa 2000ish? I'm not sure how many cases there have been involving doping convictions that predate their existence. But yes, rules about the severity of third offenses certainly postdate her first two offenses.

I have no idea what the rules are surrounding that. I'm hoping someone calls USADA Monday and asks, as I haven't got the time at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                              . . .
                              I'm hoping someone calls USADA Monday and asks, as I haven't got the time at the moment...
                              Done.

"In this case, Gea Johnson was not eligible to receive a lifetime ban for three violations because Article 10.7.5 of the World Anti-Doping Code states that “each anti-doping rule violation must take place within the same ten-year period in order to be considered multiple violations.”

A 10-year limitation is not going to be invoked in elite T&F very often. But I can think of one case involving a current elite athlete, in which the positive sample was collected April 22, 2006; if there ever were another positive for this athlete, would it be treated like a first violation?
                              Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM. Reason: Added comments on 10-year limitation.

Comment

Working...
                              X