Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't make this shit up. Flat Earthers

Just when you think you've heard it all!

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Just when you think you've heard it all!
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/07...-gravity-hoax/
    Mental illness manifests itself in wondrous ways.

Comment

These folks fear persecution. Typically, psychotic or spectacularly stupid people feel persecuted when told that their bizarre perceptions are ludicrous.
      Some paranoids are really victims of conspiracies. Most are really simply looney tunes.

Comment

...and we continue to descend into the middle ages.

Although the Internet has become extremely valuable for spreading and acquiring information, it's also a powerful tool for spreading misinformation, and extremely effective at helping wackos find each other and get social reinforcement of their crazed beliefs.

Then the same flat-earthers will jump into their cars and trust a GPS device to guide them to their destination.

Comment

From my home in Illinois, the earth looks pretty darn flat. Not sure how someone from Colorado comes to that conclusion though.

Comment

I did not know there really were Flat Earthers.. I thought it was just a term for ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              I did not know there really were Flat Earthers.. I thought it was just a term for ignorance.
              When I read some of these things I just cant help but think that these all get started as some kind of online false flag operation designed to make someone look like a blithering idiot. .. Oh wait, I exposing myself as a conspiracy theorist, people really are blithering idiots.

Comment

Flat-earthers, Holocaust and Moon-landing deniers and other conspiracy theorists typically suffer from a disorder called Schizotypal Personality Disorder (SPTD). It's a real thing and deserves our sympathy, not our dismissal.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Flat-earthers, Holocaust and Moon-landing deniers and other conspiracy theorists typically suffer from a disorder called Schizotypal Personality Disorder (SPTD). It's a real thing and deserves our sympathy, not our dismissal.
                  Sounds hyper analytical to me, going back to my moon-landing denier friend... I have never met a more well adjusted, socially connected and trusting individual. He was definitely not (SPTD), he simply was not exposed to allot of good information on the subject and had all manner of fake/pseudo science blasted at him, he responded as any rational person would have. Give them the truth and they are back on track.

I think we often fail to realize how much very bad information is out there. No person occupied with their daily lives can get it all right. So, I guess Im saying that everyone deserves our sympathy, not just the psychotic ones.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                    When I read some of these things I just cant help but think that these all get started as some kind of online false flag operation designed to make someone look like a blithering idiot. .. Oh wait, I exposing myself as a conspiracy theorist, people really are blithering idiots.
                    This whole line of reasoning in a bit comical for me. Some of the same people who are making fun of the flat earthers are the same people lampooning those who question those that don't accept what is between their legs.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan View Post
                      This whole line of reasoning in a bit comical for me. Some of the same people who are making fun of the flat earthers are the same people lampooning those who question those that don't accept what is between their legs.
                      Im going to read that over and over and over again until I dont understand it again and again and again.

Comment

Schizotypal Personality Disorder (SPTD). It's a real thing and deserves our sympathy, not our dismissal.
                        People who are ill deserve sympathetic care. Of course that does not include embracing delusional thoughts.

Comment

When I was in high school physics, our teacher once asked us to "prove" that the earth was round. His purpose was to stimulate thinking, and to remind us that many things we'd just accepted as being "true" might not always be.
                          Anyway, our feeble attempts to prove what we'd always accepted as being true fell short, and the teacher shot down our proofs pretty easily!

Comment

Originally posted by Django View Post
                            When I was in high school physics, our teacher once asked us to "prove" that the earth was round. His purpose was to stimulate thinking, and to remind us that many things we'd just accepted as being "true" might not always be.
                            Anyway, our feeble attempts to prove what we'd always accepted as being true fell short, and the teacher shot down our proofs pretty easily!
                            "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them" Obi-wan Kenobi.

Actually, a quick proof. In 1983 I was living in Newport Rhode Island at the time when the Americans lost the America's cup for the first time. You could watch the races from the shore a bit, even though the boats were miles away. Even with good binoculars, however (and you could see quite well with them) you could only see a portion the masts on the ship. The earth's curvature blocked the lower portion. If you moved up a couple of stories, you could see the whole ship. Pretty simple lesson in understanding and seeing the earth's curvature.

Comment

Yes, curvature of the earth's surface is very easily proved if you live near the ocean.

Still, ya gotta wonder how flat-earthers DO visualize the world? How does one explain the gradual bottom to top disappearance of ships on horizon? Maybe to skeptic this does not prove that the curve extends far enough to bend back on itself.

But how does traveling due west for 24 thousand plus miles will bring an airplane back to the same place? Or how daylight is distributed across the plane of the earth's surface? If it ain't a globe, what do these folks believe is a rational explanation for the many, many anomalies that flat-earth belief presents?

And, then again, I know... everything that does not match the initial hypothesis consists is faked somehow.

I've got family member who is convinced that she is infected with nano-robots (Morgellon's Disease) that crawl under her skin and push microscopic, non-organic fibers up throw her pores. She self-diagnosed based on listening to Alex Jones podcasts!!!

Where is Matt Marriott when you need him?

Comment

Working...
                              X