Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    The tower may be "stupid", but I doubt that it will diminish spectators' enjoyment of meets there.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    So far, except for the stupid Tower, it appears that it should be a fine stadium...and the right size....

Going by every day...I haven't seen anything that looks appalling...

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I never minded the word "Historic". But it certainly looks as if the new version will be a MUCH more comfortable place to watch a track meet. To me, as a spectator, that's more important than history.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I always hated that Historic crap...

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Well, one thing is quite certain: They can no longer call it "Historic Hayward Field". The most historic part of the field (the backstraight grandstand) is gone. This is Hayward Field 2.0.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    And today...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile one year ago ..

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Elsewhere in Oregon, there was a plan to tear down a grandstand that had a bit of history to it, but some locals objected.

“We didn’t want to be Hayward,” Allen said, referring to the University of Oregon’s historic track and field stadium, which was demolished last summer.

Activists steered the city away from demolition and in January of this year secured scaffolding to support the sagging roof. Signs around town shout, “SAVE THE GRANDSTANDS! HISTORY MATTERS!”
    It now appears that the grandstand has been saved.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/gre...rnonia-oregon/

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Have they no regard for history/tradition?

During 2008 OTs, there was mini-meeting of T&F News posters under the big tree at NE corner of 15th and Agate. Atticus probably still has the pic.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I posted that in the Hayward thread yesterday in Non track section....

Yes not great

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    The environmentalists won't like this.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...eld-demolition

Leave a comment:

• Charley Shaffer
    replied
    x
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 03-31-2018, 06:53 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Frankly what they should do is just use Autzen...put a track in...put the throwing events at a modified Hayward...
    I posited that idea a number of years ago when they audaciously suggested bidding for a World's. Parking at Autzen is almost non-existent. The old parking lot has slowly been overtaken by a baseball stadium, lacrosse field and other facilities. That said, there is enough parking to seat 60,000 on game days, so they'll figure out how to handle half that many people, mostly by parking them a few miles off site at schools and malls and busing people in. And fear not regarding a Hayward renovation or rebuild. Uncle Phil does things right; witness the lovely new basketball arena and the Autzen expansion along with the various academic buildings he's built on campus.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 01-23-2018, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    I believe that's the plan for the coliseum in 2028.
    But the expenses for the Olympic Games in 2028 are at an altogether different level than the WCs. In addition, the full Coliseum is due to the 1932 Games and they were the center of the 1984 Games. I suspect that much less will need to be spent on the Games prep in LA than in most other potential venues.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    or you could (said this non-engineer) lay down an elevated platform of the requisite height to lay the track structure (includes usable area outside the oval, of course) over top of the seats as needed.
    I believe that's the plan for the coliseum in 2028.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X