Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 films that define you

I came upon a Twitter thread that relates to a (pay) website that has all kinds of "4 film" categories.

But the basic one was, "name 4 films that define you," which is a tough call. Obviously a far different question than favorite films or best films.

I'll take a stab:

Last Of The Mohicans ('92 version)
    Legends Of The Fall
    Casablanca
    Robin & Marian

I have no idea what "defines you" means.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      I came upon a Twitter thread that relates to a (pay) website that has all kinds of "4 film" categories.

But the basic one was, "name 4 films that define you," which is a tough call. Obviously a far different question than favorite films or best films.

I'll take a stab:

Last Of The Mohicans ('92 version)
      Legends Of The Fall
      Casablanca
      Robin & Marian
      I'm not sure about defining you either, but you're one of the first persons besides me who puts Robin & Marian on an all-time movie list.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
        I have no idea what "defines you" means.
        I interpret this as "identify with." Here is my list (5 instead of 4).

La grand illusion
        One flew over the cuckoo's nest
        Hair
        Jester's chronicle
        Goya's ghosts

It just occurred to me (if not mistaken) that 3 of these are MiloŇ° Forman's. I suspect that at a dinner table we would agree on a lot of things .
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

If Pego is right, and this thread is about movies we "identify with", then here's my list---

You Can Count On Me (2000)
          I'm Mark Ruffalo's character, and Laura Linney's is my sister!!
          Almost 100%!!

All the President's Men (1976)
          More the book than the movie, the book (by "Woodstein") led me to enroll at Humboldt State University in 1975 as a journalism major!
          The movie was good too, of course!

An Unmarried Woman (1978)
          The story of a woman who has a hot affair with a rebel artist!
          I was then in the midst of a VERY similar affair--except SHE was the artist, and I was the man!
          Alan Bates played ME quite well!!
          And while Jill Clayburgh is a great actress, MY girlfriend then was MUCH more attractive!
          LOL

The Ten Commandments (1956)
          I gave up my Jewish heritage long ago---or at least that's what I've told everyone who asked!
          Yet to this day, I've immersed myself in "Jewishness"---from the food I eat to my love of the song "Hava Nagila", to still being greatly moved by this movie!!
          Last edited by aaronk; 04-18-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            name 4 films that define you
            Yikes, that's so much harder than 'four favorite'. I just spent the last 5 minutes considering and none leapt to mind. I hesitantly venture these:

Apocalypse Now (mostly by so expertly channeling Heart of Darkness, not just because I think it's the best-made film ever)
            To Kill a Mockingbird (obviously!)
            One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
            Seabiscuit

I guess they all seem to embrace a theme that I consider paramount to my life. A shrink would have a field day on all of us for our choices!!!

Comment

Until yesterday I would have had a list....but with the news of the demise of Hayward...

So movies I can relate to now are...The Destruction of Pompeii....and the 1936 movie San Francisco...The Day after Tomorrow...and Dr. Strangelove...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Until yesterday I would have had a list....but with the news of the demise of Hayward...

So movies I can relate to now are...The Destruction of Pompeii....and the 1936 movie San Francisco...The Day after Tomorrow...and Dr. Strangelove...
                C'mon, Conor Dary. A lady yesterday died on an airplane when the engine exploded and the shrapnel hit her. A former First Lady died last night. I had a stroke and then had a heart procedure to keep it from happening again.

In the large scope of things, taking down a stadium grandstand, however revered and historic one may think it is, is miniscule.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                  In the large scope of things, taking down a stadium grandstand, however revered and historic one may think it is, is miniscule.
                  Kind of like when UNC beats Duke? :-)

Comment

D'oh! I just thought of a movie way better than the 4 I listed before. As a product of a New England boys boarding school and currently an English (and Philosophy and Psychology and Film, which he would have appreciated) teacher, Dead Poets Society!

Comment

C'mon, Conor Dary. A lady yesterday died on an airplane when the engine exploded and the shrapnel hit her. A former First Lady died last night. I had a stroke and then had a heart procedure to keep it from happening again.

Oh dear....actually I was joking....I couldn't figure out what the question was all about, it seemed rather silly, and just made up stuff..

But I get your point...I know we will all survive even if Knight decides to turn Hayward into a nuclear power plant....which I am sure the university would happily go along with as long as Knight tossed them enough cash....
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                        Kind of like when UNC beats Duke? :-)
                        It is nothing in the large scope of things. Its fun to root like hell to beat the other Blue team, but then its over and we move on, however it turned out, as we should.

Comment

Lord of the Rings. It contributed to my love of adventure in the outdoors....backpacking, travel, sleeping out under the stars and in the woods and in the mountains (and I'm really thinking of the books here, but since they made them into movies, I can fudge a bit.)

Dr. Strangelove, as I think satire and irony are among the highest forms of humor.

Breaking Away. Striving to be your best as a youth. Coming of age in the Midwest, with woods and hidden quarries and friends that are moving apart yet will always be there. Love-interest challenges and family challenges. Midwestern values.

Fried Green Tomatoes. Coming into adulthood in the South (yes, being from Louisville one can be both Midwestern and Southern, depending on the situation at hand). Trees, trains, good food, genteel southern manners, a sense of community that Colorado lacks. Nostalgia, history. A sense of trying to straddle the old and the new and not give up either.

Comment

This is easy, none are fav's per se:

Vertigo: like Scotty I can force things
                            Manchurian Candidate: {Frank's door knocking scene} Yup unfortunately
                            JFK: Question Authority
                            2001: It's all something we don't get ...

Comment

It is nothing in the large scope of things. Its fun to root like hell to beat the other Blue team, but then its over and we move on, however it turned out, as we should.
                              A Big Ten fan's position - "Too bad that they both can't lose" .
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X