Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '20 Olympic Trials open for bidding again [Eugene wins]

short USATF release now linked on home page
    Last edited by gh; 08-03-2018, 11:40 PM.

<<STATEMENT FROM MT. SAC PRESIDENT
    ON THE 2020 USA OLYMPIC TEAM TRIALS – TRACK & FIELD

Mt. San Antonio College was recently informed that it will no longer host the 2020 USA Olympic Team Trials - Track & Field and that the USATF would reopen bidding for a new event venue.

While we are disappointed, we accept that the terms of the agreement give USATF the authority to withdraw from this commitment.

In June 2017, Mt. SAC was selected to host the 10-day event because of its long history of successfully holding world-class track and field events. In the press release from USATF announcing our selection, board chair Steve Miller said, “Mt. SAC has long been one of the top meets in the country, from an athlete performance perspective as well as from an organizational perspective.”

The USATF referenced litigation from the City of Walnut and United Walnut Taxpayers as the reason for its decision. The two lawsuits that were mentioned have either been settled or ruled by a judge in our favor. We remain confident in our ability to deliver a completed stadium on time and a successful event.

However, there are certainly losses at the college, including financial commitments, relationships and thousands of hours of lost time. Most importantly, the entire Greater Los Angeles region will lose the economic impact of at least $37 million, which is what was generated in 2016.

The Mt. SAC Local Organizing Committee is ready to execute our plans to host the 2020 event should USATF reconsider its decision. Regardless, Mt. SAC looks forward to continuing our established positive relationship with USATF.

Mt. SAC has always prided itself as providing service to the sport, hosting world-class events, like the Mt. SAC Relays and Cross Country Invitational for more than 60 years.

Our plans remain unchanged to build a stadium for our students and community, keep hosting great events, and continue to be the place “where the world’s best athletes compete.”

Dr. William T. Scroggins is president and CEO of Mt. San Antonio College.>>

Comment

Would USATF bank on the new stadium being completed in Eugene by then? I doubt they would take that chance, as that seems like more of a long shot than Mt. SAC being able and ready to host.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        Would USATF bank on the new stadium being completed in Eugene by then? I doubt they would take that chance, as that seems like more of a long shot than Mt. SAC being able and ready to host.
        It seems super unlikely that they would pick TrackTown. I am guessing they will bid, since they bid on NCAAs in 2020 and people will be expecting them to bid.

I am very surprised by all of this.

The Mt SAC lawsuits seemed to be a nonissue at this point.

The board is clearly not interested in TrackTown.

Sac State was never that strong of a contender, and less desirable after we all roasted last summer. Plus new school administration seems less interested in hosting.

Have they been wooing someone else? Drake? Icahn?

The people at Mt SAC are good people, I think this was a really shitty move.

Comment

I suppose Mt SAC can submit another bid? And if in the next six weeks or so the picture there is clarified to the satisfaction of USATF, they could again award it to Mt. SAC?

Comment

My story quotes Mt. SAC president as saying they're still open to hosting the meet:
            https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...alnut-lawsuit/

K E N

Comment

'It seems super unlikely that they would pick TrackTown...."

Not sure anything is super unlikely these days....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                'It seems super unlikely that they would pick TrackTown...."

Not sure anything is super unlikely these days....
                The board basically deposed Vin because of his role with TrackTown. Plus the new track has not even broken ground and there are possible lawsuits over the historic grandstand. There is way more uncertainty about Eugene's facility than Mt Sac's.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                  The board basically deposed Vin because of his role with TrackTown. Plus the new track has not even broken ground and there are possible lawsuits over the historic grandstand. There is way more uncertainty about Eugene's facility than Mt Sac's.
                  I made it more as a joke than a real comment...the news changes so dramatically....in Eugene now and it is hard to know what is going on. But yes it does seem rather difficult to imagine the Trials in Eugene....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    I made it more as a joke than a real comment...the news changes so dramatically....in Eugene now and it is hard to know what is going on. But yes it does seem rather difficult to imagine the Trials in Eugene....
                    Your prediction may come true....South Eugene HS. :-)

Comment

The USATF statement mentions that the new location will be announced no later than June. That's not much time the throw a plan together for any location that didn't bid the first time. If you factor out Eugene, that leaves Sacramento.

Comment

do they really have to have site in place 2 years out?

Comment

They should do is keep Hayward as is with some changes and build Knight Stadium and that dumb tower somewhere else in town.....like next to Autzen....or in Autzen...

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            Your prediction may come true....South Eugene HS. :-)
                            Or Spencer Butte Junior High....actually there is huge open field with a track 300 yards from my house in Southwest Eugene....put Knight Stadium there...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-01-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

This is nuts. The third-greatest track meet in the world and it's...."well, uh, where do we put it? How about here? Nope, that won't work. Maybe over there? Nope, not there neither. Uh....uh....uh....we're out of ideas."

Comment

Working...
                              X