Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point well-taken.

Corollary: Why in the hell would the IOC ever have...... :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      What about when the Olympics are held in hot places similar in climate to Austin? Shouldn't USATF try to mimic that?
      Why...so the best people can get worn out....US depth isn't like it was...

Besides it should be an entertaining week...not a death march like Indianapolis was...for spectators too.

Anyways it will be done on time...

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        The main stands at the new Hayward will be covered . . .
        I have not seen any drawings that show significant coverage of seats in the stands. Has there been a published update that shows otherwise?

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          not a death march like Indianapolis was...for spectators too.
          Indy in '88 was apparently quite pleasant after the first three days. The last five days, the highest temp was 84, I believe.

Comment

• N'Olens sounded like the death-march to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Why...
              To weed out the athletes who would wilt in the conditions likely at the Olympics. It's the same reason the Trials schedule should mimic the Olympic schedule.

Comment

• Well its officially Eugene, just got a press release email from USATF (somehow I'm on their mailing list)

Hopefully I'll see y'all there, although Mt. Sac was robbed

Comment

• http://www.usatf.org/News/Eugene-to-...als---(1).aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                    Indy in '88 was apparently quite pleasant after the first three days. The last five days, the highest temp was 84, I believe.
                    "apparently" would indicate either you weren't there and/or your hometown is Hades.

The humidity was nasty high the whole time, and 84 was not "pleasant" for spectators, especially after many hours sitting on aluminum benches with no sun protection anywhere.

As our intro to the meet indicated, though, as nasty as it was for spectators, it led to very high levels of performance almost across the board (almost = ask PattiSue Plumer, who was wheeled off the track on a gurney after the 3000 with a couple of IV lines running into her arms)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                      "apparently" would indicate either you weren't there and/or your hometown is Hades.
                      Sorry I can't afford to live in Shangri La like you, Mr. Rockefeller

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                        I have not seen any drawings that show significant coverage of seats in the stands. Has there been a published update that shows otherwise?
                        No....hard to know exactly what the finished product will look like...what seats will be covered is still a mystery...

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                          N'Olens sounded like the death-march to me.
                          New Orleans was hot but nothing like Indianapolis...I came down from Chicago to watch and it was a furnace the entire time....I remember Plumer passing out...it was like 97 during the men's 400h...The 10,000 heats were at night and just sitting was hot and humid...

Best thing about NO was so few attended...we bought our tickets from scalpers for half price...usually right near the finish line...

Comment

• Maybe Uncle Phil will simply float a massive NIKE blimp over the stadium to shade the whole thing. Shade and advertising, since you can never have too many swooshes in Eugene, right?

Comment

• This makes USATF look like an absolute clownshow.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                                Purely from the point of view of spectator/fan comfort, Eugene is a much better choice than either Sacramento or Austin. Yes, it can be warm in Eugene in June, but not nearly as warm as it can be in Sacto, and neither as warm nor as humid as it's likely to be in Austin.
                                That's why its called the Summer Olympics.

Comment

Working...
                                X