Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island in NYC be expanded with temporary seats?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Ok. Eugene hosts a lot of meets. They are well attended. They are well run. It is a two hour drive from my house. What is the problem?
      Personally I have never liked the idea of a single location having many many Olympic trials and national championships. And that dislike predated the NCAA giving Eugene a near monopoly on the NCAA champs. Was never convinced it was in the best long term interest of the sport. I offer no ready made alternate locations.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        Can Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island in NYC be expanded with temporary seats?
        seating is the least of Icahn's problems: who's going to volunteer to run the meet? That's not a task that Indy takes on.

There's a reason pre-Icahn Randalls Island hosted the meet in '91 and never subsequently bid: nobody in the Big Apple (understandably so) wanted the responsibility.

Setting up an LOC (local organizing committee) requires not ony many volunteers but also at least a couple of highly paid people who can dedicate a significant portion of their life to the all-important "organizing" word.

the cost of staging the meet in NYC may also be a DQing factor.

Comment

I’ve figured it out. Eugene is going to build a really big stadium for the World Championships, a medium stadium for the Olympic Trials, and a smaller stadium for the NCAA Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
            Really getting tired of Eugene hosting major US meets...how about expanding interest in the sport geographically? Texas, Florida, Chicago ������
            My sentiments exactly!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              I'm no conspiracy theorist, and the USATF release today was the first I'd heard of this whole thing. So, too, did it seem to catch other stakeholders by surprise.

But my gut reaction is, "the fix must be in for them to do a shock announcement and a short period in which to formulate a bid."

No I have no idea (or even guesses) on who might be fixing what, but this apparent rush to judgment just doesn't smell quite right.
              conspiracy theory cities (with no explanation) that I've had e-mail on: Austin, Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                Ok. Eugene hosts a lot of meets. They are well attended. They are well run. It is a two hour drive from my house. What is the problem?
                Really dude?????? LOL!!!!!

Comment

I was kinda goofing about Chicago...but surely there are other venues besides Eugene.
                  You would think.

Comment

We need four additional state of the art stadiums(Southwest, Midwest, East and South...maybe attracted to great universities) and forever rotate our NC and OT.
                    beebee, I am really beginning to like you. Keep talking like this, and I will leave you in my will. LOL!!!

Comment

I think that USATF might have been calling the bluff of the MtSAC opponents, with the indication that they are ready to settle now that their leverage has been greatly reduced. My best guess is that they re-bid and it goes to MtSAC, as they were gearing up for it. MtSAC was on my hard long-run route when I lived in Pomona. By the way, some major 'thing' might go in to a good part of the Pomona County Fairgrounds about 7 miles from MtSAC (wish I could remember what it is, maybe the second home for Amazon).

Comment

We need four additional state of the art stadiums(Southwest, Midwest, East and South...maybe attracted to great universities) and forever rotate our NC and OT.

OK, slam another of my dreams ��
                        Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                        beebee, I am really beginning to like you. Keep talking like this, and I will leave you in my will. LOL!!!
                        Don't be rewriting your will soon: fantasy is wonderful guys, but just who is going to pay for this pipe dream?

I can't say it enough times: USATF doesn't pay for staging the Nationals/Trials. It's all on locals to come up with an acceptable bid.

Comment

Run it up a flag and see if anybody salutes (very probably not) department...

Edmonton (joint U.S. + Canadian Trials).

Because I could go to Jasper again, except for longer than the too brief 2001 side trip.

Comment

There is no bluff to call on the Mt SAC opponents. USATF never even talked to them. The lawsuit still standing isn't going to derail the stadium construction, worst case scenario is just money getting shuffled around from different accounts.

I don't see the Board as being... incompetent... on these issues. I think the lawsuit issue is a cover. The people pulling the strings must have something else up their sleeves, but I have no idea what or why. I think this is a terrible decision and don't trust their motives at all.

Good article by Scott Reid gives a little insight from Mt SAC's point of view:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/0...-field-trials/

Comment

Sacramento would be a good choice.
                              "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                                seating is the least of Icahn's problems: who's going to volunteer to run the meet? That's not a task that Indy takes on.

There's a reason pre-Icahn Randalls Island hosted the meet in '91 and never subsequently bid: nobody in the Big Apple (understandably so) wanted the responsibility.

Setting up an LOC (local organizing committee) requires not ony many volunteers but also at least a couple of highly paid people who can dedicate a significant portion of their life to the all-important "organizing" word.

the cost of staging the meet in NYC may also be a DQing factor.
                                There may be an LOC in place. They are hosting USATF Indoors at the Ocean Breeze Complex in 2019. If Lauren Primerano _wanted_ to try and bid for the 2020 Trials, I think she could put an LOC together and make the bid happen.

Isn't Ed Gorman in New York? He took a job with USATF a few months ago in their events department.

I have absolutely no idea if she, or anyone else local, has any interest in such a thing. But they are my best guess for new surprise bidder.

Comment

Working...
                                X