Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    There may be an LOC in place. They are hosting USATF Indoors at the Ocean Breeze Complex in 2019. If Lauren Primerano _wanted_ to try and bid for the 2020 Trials, I think she could put an LOC together and make the bid happen.,,,.
    No offense to the Staten Island people, but hosting a 2-day indoor vs. a 10-day outdoor with almost twice the events, is well.... an island apart.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      No offense to the Staten Island people, but hosting a 2-day indoor vs. a 10-day outdoor with almost twice the events, is well.... an island apart.
      They host major youth meets that are more days and more people.

The Trials have different challenges, but I think that an LOC capable of pulling such a thing off could be put together. But I have no idea what their actual interest level is, just that there are people in the area with the experience who have been expanding into some higher level Championships. The youth meets are probably much more lucrative and less of a PITA though.

I think the logistics at Icahn would be a nightmare, I don't personally desire to see the meet move there.

Comment

When is the Minnesota facility supposed to be completed? I can think of worse places than Minneapolis in the summer. Of course, they would not be allowed to use their usual long jump officials.

Comment

Word I hear in Eugene is Vin doesn't want the 2020 Trials....the focus is all on 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            Don't be rewriting your will soon: fantasy is wonderful guys, but just who is going to pay for this pipe dream?

I can't say it enough times: USATF doesn't pay for staging the Nationals/Trials. It's all on locals to come up with an acceptable bid.
            That's the problem....there is zero incentive to host them in these far flung areas....who wants to put effort in a big operation that will lose money and no one will notice.

As for Chicago....years ago Ted Haydon would have been the guy to get a Trials there....but that is an era long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              .......... far flung areas.....
              WOW!!!! smh

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                Is Sacramento the only venue in he US with a warm-up track?
                No. Jacksonville has a warm-up track. Berkeley and Fayetteville have high school tracks close enough to do (I think Berkeley HS is maybe 500m away from Edwards).

Anyone who mentions Columbus as a host obviously hasn’t been there. Great for a HS state championship, possibly good enough for an NCAA, woefully inadequate for a Trials.

Comment

Strictly speaking, Eugene has no warmup track. It has that three lane, all-weather square thing with tight curves for corners, just SW of the stadium, maybe 70m straights. I guess that counts, but it ain't a track.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                    Strictly speaking, Eugene has no warmup track.
                    And there may be some who would wager that in 2020 Eugene will not yet have a competition track either (or at least one suitable for the OT).

Comment

Both Berkeley and Fayetteville HS tracks are about 1000m straight line, 3/4 mile by street from main stadium... would seem to require shuttle ... Jacksonville practice track <100m.. need 20,000 temp seats.. looks like Sacramento.. or just call the whole thing off.

Comment

obviously not big enough, but UW Oshkosh has ~10K seats and a full sized warm up track.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                          By the way, some major 'thing' might go in to a good part of the Pomona County Fairgrounds about 7 miles from MtSAC (wish I could remember what it is, maybe the second home for Amazon).
                          Fairplex is just one of many potential sites for Amazon's second headquarters:

Comment

Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
                            No. Jacksonville has a warm-up track. Berkeley and Fayetteville have high school tracks close enough to do (I think Berkeley HS is maybe 500m away from Edwards).

Anyone who mentions Columbus as a host obviously hasn’t been there. Great for a HS state championship, possibly good enough for an NCAA, woefully inadequate for a Trials.
                            Have you been to the Dayton stadium? All I have seen is overhead views.

Comment

Meanwhile....Eugene is apparently going to make a bid.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3...a-bid.html.csp

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                                I think the logistics at Icahn would be a nightmare
                                The biggest problem with Icahn (and old Downing Stadium that preceded it) has always been the glaring lack of transit, which causes shuttle bus nightmares and dealing with the nasty traffic on the Triboro Bridge. Also, there is no warmup track nearby (although one could be built).

On the other hand, Columbia U's Wien Stadium has a track and 17,000 seats, which would be pretty easily expandable, and sits right on a subway line and within walking distance of a Metro North train station. Right now the track surrounds a field turf football field, which would preclude the throws being held there, but that turf is also 13 years old and worn so it perhaps could be torn out. There is also a potential warmup area in the full size track at Kennedy High School directly across the Harlem River, a very short shuttle bus (or boat) ride away. So, another possibility?

With all of the T&F and running interest and organizations around here, and following on the successful bid for Ocean Breeze, I would think that an LOC could be put together. The Ocean Breeze deal certainly indicates that buy-in from City Hall would be forthcoming. But the usual problems of sponsorships and promotion could be major sticking points, as they were with our Diamond League meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X