Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalized T&F Betting

The Supreme Court just struck down a federal law that prohibited nation-wide legalized sports gambling.
    I have dabbled in betting on the OG and WC with mixed success. It required some VPN shenanigans.
    So, yes, I will probably try USA betting, but with the caveat that I will only bet money that I can LOSE!
    Will some Sports Book try to run a T&F 'game' for money? Or will they just give odds on individuals/events?
    This opens up a Brave New World for us here (who, I assume, have an 'inside track' (pun!)).
    Will you try it?

DraftKings et al stands to make a killing by roping in all the scofflaw bettors out there! Although on-line betting is not currently authorized, you KNOW it's just a matter of time. It's up to each state to proceed as it sees fit.
    Last edited by Atticus; 05-15-2018, 06:51 PM.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned from my fantasy league performance, regardless of sport, it's that it would be quicker and easier for me to simply set my money on fire than to visit a sports book.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        A fool and his money are soon parted.
        That's my mantra!

Comment

Betting and being a fan are totally different concepts. My father would bet on college football all the time (and sometimes do well), but I never thought he was a college football fan. It was pure gambling (and betting against the home team just for laughs). Not at all serious, like being a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            ...Will some Sports Book try to run a T&F 'game' for money? Or will they just give odds on individuals/events?...
            Australia has had long term historical betting on pro athletics, such as the Stawell Gift etc, as well as a pretty well developed online gambling capacity. However, I don't think there is a lot of innovation beyond event-based odds for the win because there just isn't the interest (or complexity) that there is in other sports like football and cricket.

I didn't pay any attention to what was available with the recent Comm Games but I did find this reference to some additional bets beyond a simple win.

http://www.ubetfree.com.au/blog/how-...onwealth-games

Comment

Apparently betting was available at the 1994 European Champs in Helsinki. Two-times 400m champ Roger Black was the heavy favo(u)rite with those setting the odds. Many British fans knew that on current form Du'aine Ladejo had a good chance of beating him and made good money when he actually did.

I've never betted on track & field but the betting companies over here apparently soon withdrew the option of an each-way bet where you can win a reduced amount if your athlete gets silver or bronze. Some canny people had realised that in some events (particularly field) there are athletes who may not win but are almost certain to get a medal barring disaster.

Betting is a huge business (and sometimes problem) here but the vast majority of money laid is on horse racing and football (soccer). I suspect the only time you could walk into one of our many betting shops and easily find out odds for track and field would be for the men's 100m at the Olympics and (maybe) Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                I suspect the only time you could walk into one of our many betting shops and easily find out odds for track and field would be for the men's 100m at the Olympics and (maybe) Worlds.
                I tried to find online odds for the WC 5000 last year, and yes, only found odds for a few "mainstream" events like the men's 100.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  I tried to find online odds for the WC 5000 last year, and yes, only found odds for a few "mainstream" events like the men's 100.
                  I have looked around for online odds during the last few worlds and olympics and usually I can find odds for a large majority of the events.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                    I have looked around for online odds during the last few worlds and olympics and usually I can find odds for a large majority of the events.
                    Glad I didn't find mine, I would have lost some money.

Comment

A HOF boxer I was acquainted with once advised me "Don't bet on nothing what talks".
                      Tom Hyland:
                      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

The Onion says gambling is just the beginning!

https://politics.theonion.com/suprem...ces-1826075730

:-)

Comment

Working...
                        X