Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you still have a land line?

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I don't have long distance service on my phone.
    Is that even possible in 2018?!
    https://talkingpointz.com/is-the-con...till-relevant/

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    We don't have long distance enabled on our land line.

Comment

What's a land line?

Comment

I have Comcast for home and cell, and neither has a 'no-long-distance' option.
        I don't think Sprint, Verizon, or ATT do either.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post
          What's a land line?
          Something that works when cell towers don't

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
            Something that works when cell towers don't
            I guess that's one of the reasons I still have mine.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo View Post
              What's a land line?
              something one uses to give out a number to everybody (think all kinds of home services & repair) you don't want clogging up your real phone—or worse—passing along to everyone else in the industry. With an answering machien you only check on every few days.

I doubt many more than 10 people on the planet have my cell number (and that includes my doctors).

Comment

I am very stingy with my cell number... and still get spam calls at inopportune times.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  I am very stingy with my cell number... and still get spam calls at inopportune times.
                  The companies or websites you give it to probably onsell it to "partners". If they don't, it doesn't matter anyway as cowboy marketers use automated diallers that dial every possible number until they get an answer, so they'll always get to you one way or the other.

Comment

You can set your ringtone to one thing for people you know and actually have your number and to something else, including almost no ring, for unknown callers.

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                      ....as cowboy marketers use automated diallers ..
                      "cowboy marketers"?! You mean lonewolf's people are responsible in the first place?

Comment

do you still have a land line?

(split off from the new T&FN thread)

Comment

I have a landline and it gives free international calling; it is part of a bundle with internet and Uverse (TV), as well as packaged with cell service, so the incremental cost is pretty low. Not sure if we will establish a landline if we move away, but with the current bundling I suspect that we might.

Comment

We don't. Part of what the company I work for does is VOIP and I only have a soft phone for work. Most of our growth on that side of the business has been from VOIP business lines as the CLECs try to get out of the landline business.

Just make sure your enhanced 911 settings are set correctly on your cell or VOIP number.

During Hurricane Harvey I kept tabs on all of the our cable/fiber operators in the area and was amazed at how resilient their networks were. A lot of phones and service providers are moving to a mobile virtual network setup where you move from WiFi to cell tower seamlessly. I use Project Fi from Google and it does this.

Comment

I'm with Century Link, and I pay $52.84 per month for "basic" service, meaning unlimited number of LOCAL calls, answering machine messages, etc, but NO LD service!
                              But I apparently HAD that service (they said, when I called), but just for my "introductory" 1st year!
                              That's why I couldn't get through to T&FN on the normal phone number!
                              Then I tried the 1-800-GET-TRAK number, and VOILA!

BTW, I made a call for LD information last month (Can't remember why!), and am being charged $4.99 for THAT!!!

A "land line" is a telephone that you find on land, as opposed to one you find on water, like an ocean or a lake!
                              LOL

Heh.
                              What is Clark Kent gonna do when he needs to change into Superman?
                              Get arrested for indecent exposure??
                              LOL

I vowed a long time ago to NEVER buy or use a cell phone!!
                              And I've held to that promise!

Comment

Working...
                              X