Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What specialty/hobby magazines have you ever gotten?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Leichtathletik (the German track mag)
    I got that from 72-76 (back when I was fluent) and LOVED it.
    In 1972, as part of my college year in Germany, we went into East Berlin and picked up an EG track 'periodical' which was predominantly technical - very weird but enlightening. Those guys were S E R I O U S.

Comment

AW is the only running magazine around anymore.....and there use to be quite a few...

I use to get, for many years, the American Mathematical Monthly that has a problem section each month with questions like this....

Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-23-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I used to (into my early 30s) have subscriptions to about a half-dozen Marvel comics.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
          I just don't think I should answer this one...
          I have no idea what you were hinting at but the comment brought this Jury Duty story to mind..

As a former Army MP I usually get excused by the defense. I was kept on a smoking gun murder case. After the trial I asked the defense attorney why he kept me.

"In all the years I've done this you are the only man who listed a subscription to Playboy when I asked the magazine and periodical question. I figured if you were honest enough to admit that, you would give my guy a fair listen."

*** A number of wine, spirit, food and lifestyle mags that others get in pursuit of their hobbies were business tools for me***
          Last edited by wineturtle; 05-23-2018, 04:23 PM.
          Tom Hyland:
          "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

That's hilarious, and probably a fair assessment as well.

Comment

yeah, but you just subscribed for the articles.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                yeah, but you just subscribed for the articles.
                Didn't we all???

Comment

Playboy has articles?
                  Tom Hyland:
                  "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

I get View Camera and Shutterbug .... Now I found out today the latter just stopped after 45 years...

Comment

This will show my nerdiness and may not count as a hobby but I subscribed to Scientific American for many years

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        This will show my nerdiness and may not count as a hobby but I subscribed to Scientific American for many years
                        Loved the old magazine...especially Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column. Read it for many years....

Comment

Oh gosh, I completely forgot that I subscribed to Climbing Magazine from 1984 till maybe 2004 or thereabouts. It's still out there, but long ago went from good to bad. Formerly well-written articles, often lengthy, to whatever the visual equivalent of a sound bite is. Like, dude, it's having to appeal to Millennial climbers. With short. Attention spans. Its slide has been similar to that taken by Runners World, not as relevant to "real climbers" anymore. Thank you, gh, for maintaining such a high-quality magazine.

https://www.climbing.com/

Comment

not to hijack the thread, but what did your father subscribe too?

Mine had 3 (plus Reader's Digest): True, Argosy and Astounding Science Fiction (which morphed )

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                              Oh gosh, I completely forgot that I subscribed to Climbing Magazine from 1984 till maybe 2004 or thereabouts. It's still out there, but long ago went from good to bad. Formerly well-written articles, often lengthy, to whatever the visual equivalent of a sound bite is. Like, dude, it's having to appeal to Millennial climbers. With short. Attention spans. Its slide has been similar to that taken by Runners World, not as relevant to "real climbers" anymore. Thank you, gh, for maintaining such a high-quality magazine.

https://www.climbing.com/
                              Oh yes Climbing... Yes I got it for years... I agree with your assessment.... Nothing like it was under Michael Kennedy.

Also a magazine where you read obits of people you know or knew or familiar with all too often... Sometimes it felt like every issue mentioned someone dying at a young age.... Like Charlie Fowler on the cover a few years back.... Kind of shakes you up a bit...

I also got Canoe and Kayak... and Boundary Waters Journal...
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-25-2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                                not to hijack the thread, but what did your father subscribe too?

Mine had 3 (plus Reader's Digest): True, Argosy and Astounding Science Fiction (which morphed )
                                Reader's Digest! Of course my parents got it.... When my brother and I were born in 1954 they also got the French language edition for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X