Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What specialty/hobby magazines have you ever gotten?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lonewolf
    replied
    Reminds me I also subscribe to The Extra Miler, a group of people who aspire to set foot in every one of 3142 US county/parish/boroughs. My criteria is to photograph the courthouse.
    Only 11 of Alaska/s18 boroughs have a courthouse. I have photoed 8 of the 11. My county equivalent count stands at 3133 or 3135 counting the boroughs I have been in that do not have a courthouse.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Oops, also forgot I get the annual American Alpine Journal by virtue of being a member of the American Alpine Club. Longer stories about notable climbs, hundreds of shorter synopses of climbs people have done, usually first ascents, around the world. I'm not climbing anymore, so I don't devour it, just thumb through it and read a little. Mostly keep up my membership because I still backpack and membership comes with rescue insurance so if in the unlikely event I or one of my kids were to break a leg 15 miles from the trailhead, the rescue would be paid for.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    My first two Climbing Magazines (I saved about a dozen years' worth). And Conor, there's one our late, great climbers, John Bachar, soloing Outer Space on Cookie Cliff, Yosemite.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    The only magazines I remember are Farmer-Stockman and Life..and there were stacks of 1920s-30s crime and western magazines in the cellar.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 05-25-2018, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    My father collected stamps, specifically plate blocks. He subscribed to Linn's Stamp News, more of a newspaper. My mother worked in the historic preservation arena, wearing different hats over the years. She got Historic Preservation, kind of for work, kind of for fun.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    not to hijack the thread, but what did your father subscribe too?

Mine had 3 (plus Reader's Digest): True, Argosy and Astounding Science Fiction (which morphed )
    Reader's Digest! Of course my parents got it.... When my brother and I were born in 1954 they also got the French language edition for a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Oh gosh, I completely forgot that I subscribed to Climbing Magazine from 1984 till maybe 2004 or thereabouts. It's still out there, but long ago went from good to bad. Formerly well-written articles, often lengthy, to whatever the visual equivalent of a sound bite is. Like, dude, it's having to appeal to Millennial climbers. With short. Attention spans. Its slide has been similar to that taken by Runners World, not as relevant to "real climbers" anymore. Thank you, gh, for maintaining such a high-quality magazine.

https://www.climbing.com/
    Oh yes Climbing... Yes I got it for years... I agree with your assessment.... Nothing like it was under Michael Kennedy.

Also a magazine where you read obits of people you know or knew or familiar with all too often... Sometimes it felt like every issue mentioned someone dying at a young age.... Like Charlie Fowler on the cover a few years back.... Kind of shakes you up a bit...

I also got Canoe and Kayak... and Boundary Waters Journal...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-25-2018, 12:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    not to hijack the thread, but what did your father subscribe too?

Mine had 3 (plus Reader's Digest): True, Argosy and Astounding Science Fiction (which morphed )

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Oh gosh, I completely forgot that I subscribed to Climbing Magazine from 1984 till maybe 2004 or thereabouts. It's still out there, but long ago went from good to bad. Formerly well-written articles, often lengthy, to whatever the visual equivalent of a sound bite is. Like, dude, it's having to appeal to Millennial climbers. With short. Attention spans. Its slide has been similar to that taken by Runners World, not as relevant to "real climbers" anymore. Thank you, gh, for maintaining such a high-quality magazine.

https://www.climbing.com/

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    This will show my nerdiness and may not count as a hobby but I subscribed to Scientific American for many years
    Loved the old magazine...especially Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column. Read it for many years....

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    This will show my nerdiness and may not count as a hobby but I subscribed to Scientific American for many years

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I get View Camera and Shutterbug .... Now I found out today the latter just stopped after 45 years...

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Playboy has articles?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    yeah, but you just subscribed for the articles.
    Didn't we all???

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    yeah, but you just subscribed for the articles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X