Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eugene chainsaw massacre

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eugene chainsaw massacre

    I think even among those who are not very environmentally conscious, witnessing a chain saw taking down a familiar tree can be disturbing.

  • #2
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I think even among those who are not very environmentally conscious, witnessing a chain saw taking down a familiar tree can be disturbing.
    not if you're the one wielding the saw; very primal feeling of power.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gh View Post
      not if you're the one wielding the saw; very primal feeling of power.
      Yes nothing more fun than working with a chainsaw... Especially knocking down a tree. A great science in getting it right...

      Comment


      • #4
        Some primal guys. Power is their middle name!:

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE

        Comment


        • #5
          Indeed... I was not long ago eyeing a 36 inch Stihl chainsaw... Largest I have now is only 20 inch...

          Don't get me wrong I love trees... The best thing about my new house in Eugene is a Giant Sequoia in the backyard...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            The Oregon Pre grew up in...

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJz8JEEjGrI
            Loved that movie. Never hear about it anymore.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Indeed... I was not long ago eyeing a 36 inch Stihl chainsaw... Largest I have now is only 20 inch...

              Don't get me wrong I love trees... The best thing about my new house in Eugene is a Giant Sequoia in the backyard...
              I learned how to saw with a 36-inch McCulloch (King Of The Forest!) when I was about 13. No such thing as aluminum parts in those days; 50-odd pounds (well, at least it seemed that heavy) of mighty steel I could barely lift.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                Loved that movie. Never hear about it anymore.
                Yes great film... Best ever filmed in Oregon... One of Newman's best... Great book...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I learned how to saw with a 36-inch McCulloch (King Of The Forest!) when I was about 13. No such thing as aluminum parts in those days; 50-odd pounds (well, at least it seemed that heavy) of mighty steel I could barely lift.
                  Wow... A 13 year old wielding a 36 inch chain saw....incredible I must say.. .. I am impressed... Kenyans running 20 miles to school each day is nothing compared to that. A real woodsman as Bjorklund would say.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    .. Best ever filmed in Oregon......
                    Maybe among the talkies: have you ever seen The General?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You got me there "The General" is a classic ... I had no idea...

                      The cast and crew arrived in Cottage Grove, Oregon, on May 27, 1926, with 18 freight cars full of Civil War-era cannons, rebuilt passenger cars, stagecoaches, houses, wagons and laborers. The crew stayed at the Bartell Hotel in nearby Eugene and brought three 35mm cameras with them from Los Angeles. On May 31, set construction began with the materials, and regular train service in Cottage Grove ceased until the end of production. One third of the film's budget was spent in Cottage Grove, and 1,500 locals were hired.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        Yes great film... Best ever filmed in Oregon... One of Newman's best... Great book...
                        Richard Jaeckel had a major role in that film (as in the Dirty Dozen). His son, Barry Jaeckel, played on the PGA Tour at the same time as I did. Good guy. His nickname on tour was Hollywood. Never met his father.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Last year we settled outside of Eugene on a five acre property. First time living in the country, first time managing land. As part of this move my collection of motors went from a few kitchen/house appliances and the truck to a baby tractor, multiple wells, various yard & woodworking tools, and a chainsaw, amongst others. That chainsaw is the one I have no comfort level with, so I have some practice work to do before winter. The fact is, though, that if I have to wield a chainsaw it's a very bad day - our chainsaw is for emergencies only. For non-emergencies we'll depend on pros. Lot of trees can fall without creating an emergency; a few could be automatic emergencies.
                          Last edited by bad hammy; 07-26-2018, 03:46 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                            That chainsaw is the one I have no comfort level with, so I have some practice work to do before winter. The fact is, though, that if I have to wield a chainsaw it's a very bad day - our chainsaw is for emergencies only. For non-emergencies we'll depend on pros. Lot of trees can fall without creating an emergency; a few could be automatic emergencies.
                            I'm with you on that, but in Fla, ya need one for hurricane debris (if not a tree, at least limbs). Every time I have to use it, I just imagine slipping and staging the Florida Chainsaw Massacre.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Double-headed axe is your best friend

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X