Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another list of best movies to gnash teeth over

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a6851d2ec99e
    Another critic goes down the esoteric road of self centerdness. I've seen 17 of them. 2 I really hated. "Spotless Mind" and "Children of Men." Luckily for Atticus "The Kids are all right" is not on the list. Nor, sad to say, any super hero epics. Sad!

one can spend forever reading the comments that follow

Comment

self centerdness.
      You nailed it there. No attempt to find actual merit.
      His inclusion of Dunkirk was blind luck.

Comment

Why is this person's list any more self-centered than any other 'best' list crafted by any other person?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
          Why is this person's list any more self-centered than any other 'best' list crafted by any other person?
          Some critics (Ebert always springs to mind) actually try to see movies from a diverse audience's perspective. I have personally disliked many movies that I knew were good and others would enjoy.

Comment

It's not. Did I say it was?

Comment

"Self-centered" is the wrong term.
              "Personal taste & preference" is better!

As a lifetime maker of lists---of several different kinds & subjects---I know the difference.
              What it comes down to is whether the list-maker is a professional--with the necessary technical knowledge to back up his or her choices.

But even if you have that, it still comes down to personal taste.

Except the pro won't get paid for writing "my fave mystery writer" or "my fave movie of the last 20 years"---No, he or she gets paid to take a more neutral stance, and to judge whatever on purely technical, artistic terms.

But I value a list more if it does NOT come from a pro!
              If I know a person watches "made for TV" movies, and makes a list of the "best made for TV movies", I'd read THAT list before one done by a pro!

My posts on the "binge-watch" thread are mostly (99%) ignored!
              That's because my choices come from "personal taste or preference"---and not from some vast professional knowledge of movies!
              For example, Citizen Kane is widely regarded as the best movie ever made.
              But if I were to make a list of the FIVE THOUSAND Best Movies I've ever seen, Kane wouldn't even MAKE that list---let alone be near or at the top!!

Want to see MY lists?
              Just ask.
              aaronk
              Last edited by aaronk; 08-19-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                If I know a person watches "made for TV" movies, and makes a list of the "best made for TV movies", I'd read THAT list before one done by a pro!
                As bourgeois, plebian, white-bread as I think I am, I still would much rather read the pro's review, simply because this is some 'educated discipline' to the approach. But I always remeber that taste is taste, and yours and mine are no better of worse than anyone else's.

I think Jackson Pollack's paintings are virtually worthless and wouldn't put one over my sofa if someone gave me one - yet they sell for ten$ of million$ (which is exactly what I'd do with it). I do, however, understand that 'experts' see all sorts of virtuosity in them. I've even had it explained to me in great detail and found the discourse fascinating and even 'saw' what I should see. But that sure doesn't mean I have to like it, which I don't!).

Some people saw Dunkirk and said 'decent war flick'. OMG I saw so much more there!

Comment

LOL... all "best" or "goat" lists are merely starting points for argumentation, aren't they?
                  This list of (the odd number of) 23 is, in my view, way worst than most.

I've seen about 2/3rds of the movies and aside from Spotlight I would not recommend any of them to anyone. Boyhood seems representative of the taste of the author. To me, the film seemed to last almost as long as the 12 years it took to produce. During that time I waited in vain for something, anything, to happen that I cared about in any sense.

Probably I'm not discerning enough to appreciate intellectual value of such work. That must be why I quit grad school after receiving my MA... I enjoyed the research but the thought of rubbing shoulders with academics for several more years and being part of the self-important, supercilious atmospherics of Ph.D candidates seemed absolutely dreadful.

Over years, I have agreed and disagreed with Atticus on lots of random issues: meet management, what constitutes a legal HJ, etc. :-) And in filmdom we couldn't be more diverse. I judge Dark Knight to be absolutely worthless and thought Dunkirk was a near miss in just about every regard.

But in this instance I'm in complete agreement: "pros" can make lists and they may be interesting (or not, as the current one seems to me) and may spark fun discussions. But "that sure doesn't mean I have to like it"

Comment

My burden to bear is that I immensely enjoy most super-hero movies because of arrested aesthetic development somewhere in my early teens. That said, I know few of them are Oscar bait, nor were they trying to be. [except Dark Knight, which I must fervently insist is one of the best-made movies . . . ever, C Nolan being da man and all]

Comment

Finally looked at the list.
                      The ONLY movie I would put on my Top 100 is You Can Count On Me.
                      I LOVE that movie----mainly because the characters ARE me and my sister---or at least the way we were a few decades ago!
                      LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X