X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    This is a wild story...

The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents

Where the desperation of late-stage meritocracy is so strong, you can smell it

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...poTFJxXaed-Bxo

I didn't think anything could make me grateful for COVID-19 but there ya go. Those parents are insufferable. How dare they suffer for their kids having to settle for going to a futureless university like Georgetown.

Comment

• WTH is squash? Apparently has not reached the reservation.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
        WTH is squash? Apparently has not reached the reservation.
        It's been around since the mid 1800's. Raquet game played (at least currently) in a 4 wall setting similar to paddle ball. I think the main difference between paddle ball and squash is that the ball in squash is hollowed out so it doesn't bounce all that well.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

It's been around since the mid 1800's. Raquet game played (at least currently) in a 4 wall setting similar to paddle ball. I think the main difference between paddle ball and squash is that the ball in squash is hollowed out so it doesn't bounce all that well.
          I think with squash the pre-game on court warm-up is as much about warming up the ball as the players. I

It's quite popular in the UK. The '70s and '80s were probably its peak period as a post-work pastime for office workers.
          Last edited by Trickstat; 10-22-2020, 10:21 AM. Reason: gratuitous apostrophe

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

They hardly invented them for that reason. Soccer is older than football, basketball. Of course, track is the oldest sport (along with wrestling). Tennis and golf began to be played competitively at around the time American football in colleges started. Rowing pre-dates all of them, and so does lacrosse. Water polo came about in the late 19th century. So rich, white folks have not been inventing them recently because their kids can't compete.
            I should have used the word "introduced" instead of invented. These sports were not available to most high schoolers 50 years ago. Why do you think rick, white folks push their kids to these sports? The article even talks about a parent bankrolling a college program for $20 million.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post

I should have used the word "introduced" instead of invented. These sports were not available to most high schoolers 50 years ago. Why do you think rick, white folks push their kids to these sports? The article even talks about a parent bankrolling a college program for $20 million.
              Maybe "popularized among rich, white folks" would be the best term, which I would agree with

Comment

• Stanford built its athletic 'reputation' (a zillion Sears Cup trophies as the 'best') on these niche sports, which is why I was so surprised that they cut most of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Stanford built its athletic 'reputation' (a zillion Sears Cup trophies as the 'best') on these niche sports, which is why I was so surprised that they cut most of them.
                  Now that they've built strong reputations in swimming, track & field, football, and basketball (women's in particular), those other niche sports have become less important for maintaining their sporting prowess.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                    Now that they've built strong reputations in swimming, track & field, football, and basketball (women's in particular), those other niche sports have become less important for maintaining their sporting prowess.
                    We'll see. Places like Michigan/Ohio St, UCLA/USC, Florida, Texas, UNC, Ore/Wash, etc. are licking their chops now.
                    It made no sense for Stanford to cut the niche sports - it can NOT be about the money, as they said. It's flush with money that keeps growing from all the intellectual property they have their fingers in. Alumni could easily fund the budgets of the cut sports.

My only (poor) guess is that they want to extort that money out of boosters, but couldn't look like that's what they're doing. This way, they cut the sport, alums cry and pony up, and S looks like the good guys by reinstating them when the donations roll in.

Comment

• I have no problem with the niche sports. They come close to being amateur than the big ticket sports. Of course, I understand that without football and basketball, the other sports likely don’t exist.

Comment

• Felicity Huffman wants passport returned as she completes college admissions scandal sentence

As Lori Loughlin readies for prison in the college admissions scandal, Felicity Huffman is close to completing her sentence — and wants the government to return her passport.

Attorneys for Huffman filed court documents Wednesday requesting that the United States Probation and Pre-Trial Services Department return the Desperate Housewives star’s passport as she “will shortly complete the period of supervised release the Court imposed on September 13, 2019.” She was sentenced to one-year of supervised probation.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144939647.html

Comment

• Headline - Lori Loughlin begins 2-month prison sentence in college admissions scandal

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1245434

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            This is a wild story...

The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents

Where the desperation of late-stage meritocracy is so strong, you can smell it

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...poTFJxXaed-Bxo
                            Well, it turns out that article was a work of fiction...

Washington Post Writer Who Debunked Atlantic Story Says ‘Fencing Injuries’ Tipped Him Off

Erik Wemple, the Washington Post media critic who first questioned the accuracy of Ruth Shalit Barrett’s now-discredited story in The Atlantic, said he first grew suspicious when he read about a well-heeled 12-year-old girl’s “fencing injuries.”

The article: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...002324977.html

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

"Anyone" can pick up a paddleball racquet and get a good workout playing four wall. Squash is a lot tougher. It also hurts a lot more when you get hit with the ball in the back of your head.

Comment

• Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                                Squash is a lot tougher. It also hurts a lot more when you get hit with the ball in the back of your head.
                                I played it all thru HS and had the back, arm, and leg welts to show for it. The sound of the ball hitting the tin used to give me nightmares. That's why I like racquetball better - you can hit it as low as ya wanna.

Comment

Working...
                                X