X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

It's been around since the mid 1800's. Raquet game played (at least currently) in a 4 wall setting similar to paddle ball. I think the main difference between paddle ball and squash is that the ball in squash is hollowed out so it doesn't bounce all that well.
    I think with squash the pre-game on court warm-up is as much about warming up the ball as the players. I

It's quite popular in the UK. The '70s and '80s were probably its peak period as a post-work pastime for office workers.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 10-22-2020, 09:21 AM. Reason: gratuitous apostrophe

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    WTH is squash? Apparently has not reached the reservation.
    It's been around since the mid 1800's. Raquet game played (at least currently) in a 4 wall setting similar to paddle ball. I think the main difference between paddle ball and squash is that the ball in squash is hollowed out so it doesn't bounce all that well.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    WTH is squash? Apparently has not reached the reservation.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    This is a wild story...

The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents

Where the desperation of late-stage meritocracy is so strong, you can smell it

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...poTFJxXaed-Bxo

I didn't think anything could make me grateful for COVID-19 but there ya go. Those parents are insufferable. How dare they suffer for their kids having to settle for going to a futureless university like Georgetown.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Actually, "football" was invented because Americans could not compete in "futbol"... (j/k)

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Yeah, started with soccer(actually tennis and golf). Now rowing, squash, water polo, lacrosse.
    Rich, white folks inventing sports because their kids can't compete in football, basketball, track.
    They hardly invented them for that reason. Soccer is older than football, basketball. Of course, track is the oldest sport (along with wrestling). Tennis and golf began to be played competitively at around the time American football in colleges started. Rowing pre-dates all of them, and so does lacrosse. Water polo came about in the late 19th century. So rich, white folks have not been inventing them recently because their kids can't compete.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Rich, white folks inventing sports because their kids can't compete in football, basketball, track.
    Private schools around here routinely beat the public schools in distance and technical events (PV, TJ, DT) despite being much smaller.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    This is a wild story...
    Yeah, started with soccer(actually tennis and golf). Now rowing, squash, water polo, lacrosse.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    This is a wild story...

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Billionaire's son indicted in college admissions cheating scandal

Prosecutors announced Wednesday that another parent has been indictedin the college admissions cheating case, accusing him of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Georgetown University coach to help his daughter get accepted to the school as a tennis recruit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/us/kh...cam/index.html
    When somebody is looking for a suitcase full of cash as payment, I think the transaction needs to be looked at with a wary eye. Yet the application was completed accurately.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Billionaire's son indicted in college admissions cheating scandal

Prosecutors announced Wednesday that another parent has been indictedin the college admissions cheating case, accusing him of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to a Georgetown University coach to help his daughter get accepted to the school as a tennis recruit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/us/kh...cam/index.html

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by schigh View Post
    It seems to me that they got off pretty easy, all things considered. But at least they got taken for some extra cash thinking they could buy there way out of a conviction too. Between the bribes themselves and the lawyers fees, that's a chunk of cash.
    Also they lost a lot of income - I guess Lori Laughlin used to be in tons of Hallmark movies (per my wife) and they pulled her off all of those

Leave a comment:

• schigh
    replied
    It seems to me that they got off pretty easy, all things considered. But at least they got taken for some extra cash thinking they could buy there way out of a conviction too. Between the bribes themselves and the lawyers fees, that's a chunk of cash.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    They've now been sentenced.
    I guess my only response to this is - did they REALLY think they'd get away with this? Too many people knew too much. I know many of us parents would do virtually anything to help our kids, but I would have laughed out loud if someone had presented a scheme like this - even if I'd had the money.
    As the May posts indicate - you have to do it the old-fashioned way - give $15,000,000 for a building.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Headline and sub-head: Lori Loughlin, husband to plead guilty in college admissions scandal, agree to serve prison time

Prosecutors say the "Full House" actress faked the athletic credentials of her daughters to get them into USC.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...andal-n1211941

They've now been sentenced.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...al/ar-BB18ems2

Leave a comment:

Working...
X