Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Admissions interviews and vetting applications.

I know that some high end colleges require an interview. The only one I was ever privy to involved an outstanding student and runner I had helped coach who was interviewed (coincidentally) by a world class miler and recent grad of the target school. She was admitted but she was also an exceptional intellect who went on to grad school at MIT.

I'm only familiar with the state university where I read applications. Each November the school receives over 100,000 applications from all over the world. Maybe 30-40,000 kids will receive admission notices and of that the school projects that only @8,000 will actually follow through with registering and attending school.

Point being, with only about a 10 week period to make admission decisions on students from all 50 states, Europe and (a lot) from China, rigorous vetting and interviewing is not possible. It's an honor system... if people are not honorable, we get the current results.

Comment

What irks me about the way the media is handling this story is the almost complete focus on the two actresses. Simply because they're famous, or simply because they're famous women? From reading more deeply the husbands were just as deeply involved just not in the communication via smart phone. Why charge the wife and not the husband just because the "evidence" is in the communications? I also feel sorry for the kids involved, who seem for the most part to be unaware of what was going on. Nothing like the media making you look like a moron who needed help.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
        I also feel sorry for the kids involved, who seem for the most part to be unaware of what was going on.
        I am not so sure about this. When my son applied for med school some quarter of century ago, a dean of admissions was a good friend of mine. My son declared something along the line "if you call him, I'll get sore, I want to get in on my own."
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
          What irks me about the way the media is handling this story is the almost complete focus on the two actresses. Simply because they're famous, or simply because they're famous women? From reading more deeply the husbands were just as deeply involved just not in the communication via smart phone. Why charge the wife and not the husband just because the "evidence" is in the communications? I also feel sorry for the kids involved, who seem for the most part to be unaware of what was going on. Nothing like the media making you look like a moron who needed help.
          Admittedly, I haven't read every word on this caper but I did see some compelling evidence that actor William H. Macy (Huffman's husband) was as involved as one could get but he has not been charged to my knowledge.

The focus on the actresses is also, in part, because of the characters they played which most people are aware of. It's possible that if their public persona or the goody goody characters they played were a bit more crass, the attention would shift away from them and to the overall population of scoundrels.

Comment

At least I now know what an "Influencer" is.
            From Slate:"Some of the teenagers may have been a little more clued in to their parents’ involvement, though, at least based on their apathy when dealing with the application process. Lori Laughlin’s younger daughter did not complete all of her college applications, according to the filing. CW-1 responded by telling an employee at the fraudulent business to submit the applications on her behalf."
            jeremyp
            Last edited by jeremyp; 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
              We were to evaluate challenges in life that students had either sought or overcome and exceptional personal accomplishments or backgrounds (such as community service, campus leadership, foreign travel/second language mastery, and success in competitive fields... everything from music competitions to speech tourneys to cheerleading contests AND athletic accomplishments).
              Isn't there serious class bias here? How are those "challenges sought" evaluated in comparison to challenges that students had to overcome because they are imposed regardless of their intention?

If a student says she had to take care of her younger siblings while her parents were working their double shifts, and therefore she had little time for extra-curricular activities, would that work against her? And how about having to work long hours to help their parents? Would that hurt an applicant?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                Isn't there serious class bias here? How are those "challenges sought" evaluated in comparison to challenges that students had to overcome because they are imposed regardless of their intention?

If a student says she had to take care of her younger siblings while her parents were working their double shifts, and therefore she had little time for extra-curricular activities, would that work against her? And how about having to work long hours to help their parents? Would that hurt an applicant?
                Interesting thread on that topic...

https://mobile.twitter.com/henryfarr...93492813938688

Comment

There was a period just after the sane honest period (prior to approximately 1990) and before the wide open wild west fraud period of approximately 2000 - present).

In that short window of time students understood the score and knew that the college application was the one place where creating fantastic fiction was like walking a tight rope across the chasm of fire to greatness on the other side. It was a time when young men could truly differentiate themselves with extraordinary feats of prose. It was a time that produced Hugh Gallagher:

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/essay.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Gallagher_(humorist)

Comment

I don't condone these shenanigans but raiding Huffman's house in the wee hours of the morning with guns drawn seems like overkill.

Comment

This is the true Affirmative Action....and its probably infested throughout the U.S.

Comment

Lori Loughlin's bail has been set at.... wait for it.... a million bucks!

https://www.apnews.com/934bb555974b4e71b37c4ebba312063e

Comment

Absurd....

And a new twist!....

As Lori Loughlin traveled from Vancouver to L.A. Tuesday night to surrender to federal authorities in the college bribery scandal -- which got her daughter, Olivia Jade, into USC -- Olivia spent the night on the yacht of the Chairman of USC's Board of Trustees ... but she's off the boat now, TMZ has learned.

We've learned 19-year-old Olivia was on Rick Caruso's yacht in the Bahamas. Caruso's daughter, Gianna, Olivia and several other friends were spending spring break in the area.

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/03/13/lori-l...s-rick-caruso/
                          Conor Dary
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-14-2019, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                            I don't condone these shenanigans but raiding Huffman's house in the wee hours of the morning with guns drawn seems like overkill.
                            Which is the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              I also remember talking to a guy named Taymon Domzalski about this. Taymon was a Duke basketball player, good player, but never a star. He was planning on going to med school and was worried that all the other applicants had all these volunteer things and such. Since I had played golf at a pretty high level, our conversation was that athletes don't have options with their time. The volunteers can always say, "I can't make it today - I have to study for an exam, or I don't feel well." Nothing against the volunteers, which is laudable and important, but let's see Taymon telling that to Coach K about not showing up to practice?

So I do think there are reasons to cut athletes some breaks, the operative word being "some".
                              My college roommate applied to med school and had no "volunteered-at-the-hospital" stuff on his application. During one of his interviews, the interviewer focused on that and, a little irritated, asked "Well then how do you know what it's like to be a doctor???" Nevermind that
                              1. His father was an oncologist on faculty at the UNC hospital and med school.
                              2. His brother was in med school
                              3. His mother and one sister were nurses
                              4. Dinner guests at their house often included other med school faculty
                              5. Good grades as a chemistry major.
                              6. Four years running xc and track, lettering twice each
                              7. Played French horn in the UNC Symphony
                              8. Volunteering as an orderly or checking in lab specimens a couple of hours a week teaches one absolutely nothing about what it's like to be a doctor.

The process can be absurd at times, depending on who you run into.

PS Roomie went to UNC for med school, U of Alabama-Birmingham for internal medicine, and is chief medical informatics officer at the NIH research hospital in Bethesda. Astounding, given that he didn't empty bedpans while slacking off in college.

Comment

good LA Times story on the topic

https://www.latimes.com/local/abcari...313-story.html

Comment

Working...
                                X