Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Uh, tried to do Junior Medical School, a program designed to give some exposure to 16 year-olds who might be interested in medicine. The point was about how it was a Catch-22 for her. You can't get experience without first having experience. I guess that brings it full circle. So now not only do college students have to volunteer at hospitals to prove they have enough interest in medicine to be worthy of med school admittance, now 16 year-olds have to volunteer at hospitals to prove they have enough interest in medicine to be worthy of "junior medical school" admittance. Maybe I'll ring up Lori Loughlin for some help!
    Assuming that the hospital did not lie to your daughter, the students who were accepted to the program had some prior activities to demonstrate their interest in medicine. So what prevented your daughter from having similar experience to impress the hospital? Why isn't it Catch-22 for other students who got in?

If there are more people who want to get into particular school, program or whatever, you need to do more and more, just to get to the start line. If that's the case, I'd rather want those things to be determined by things that applicants themselves can control without assistance from anyone else, including their family members. But I guess I belong to a small minority on this issue.

Comment

Yup, since they couldnt give $4 million to the school, they had to give 500k to thieves and robbers who could be trusted to defraud the school.

Comment

We don't have this problem in mathematics....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          We don't have this problem in mathematics....
          Oh, good. Happy Pi Day!

Comment

And 3.1415926...to you...

Actually I'm a bigger fan of e day. 2.71828...

Comment

You two are so irrational ! but dont let it get to your head because fortunately in between there are an infinite number just like you .
              user4
              Last edited by user4; 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM.

Comment

The thing I like about e is that its easy to remember to 9 decimal places, because it repeats

2.718281828 ...

Comment

I mentioned we don't have this problem in mathematics....but a few years a couple of Chinese mathematicians tried to steal the credit for solving the Poincare Conjecture....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...nifold-destiny

Comment

Ms Loughlin has been kicked out of Hallmark. What a terrible price to pay...

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      The dilemma for these celebrities is they weren't rich enough to fund a new building or athletic facility, and since they had failed at parenting, cheating and lying was their only option to get their kids into elite schools.
                      I don't know if that is true for all of them though. They spelled out in the complaint that it is easier to get admitted as an athletic recruit than as the child of a big donor. Schools are generally most lenient of the grades/scores of athletic recruits, out of all of the groups that get preferential treatment.

Comment

Great article on the one actual track athlete involved in the scandal.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...admission-scam

Comment

I mentioned we don't have this problem in mathematics....but a few years a couple of Chinese mathematicians tried to steal the credit for solving the Poincare Conjecture....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...nifold-destiny
                          Great story - long, but very good

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                            Great story - long, but very good
                            Glad you liked it...I figured you would....

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                              Great article on the one actual track athlete involved in the scandal.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...admission-scam
                              Interesting story indeed...

Comment

I really haven't studied this scam yet to assess what were the long term prospects for ongoing success. But it doesn't seem too high. Too many moving parts.

Apparently Georgetown figured it out a while back or they may have been tipped off? I think I remember a Boston cop who was selling Sgt. exams and using the profits to buy Cape Cod real estate. Which the Gtn coach apparently did too (invested in a Falmouth condo)?

Anyway he (Gtn coach) was a legit two sport all-state selection as a HS Fr. (Hockey and Tennis). As a kid he probably thought 'what do I want, a pro tennis or NHL career?'
                                Adam$
                                Last edited by Adam$; 03-15-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X