X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user4
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego View Post
    I'd prefer if they threw the book at recipients of the bribes instead of the likes of Huffman. Here is my story from a communist country. ..Yes, I bribed a couple of committee members.
    1) Im pretty sure they are also throwing the book at the recipients of the bribes. A number of coaches/admissions admin types were in the cross hairs and have been fired.

2) As a general rule, wherever people see that their actual accomplishments and contributions are in no way proportional to their benefits / compensations, that is where corruption abounds and escalates. But it is not an absolutely necessary condition as there are always corrupt and corruptible people willing to take advantage of every situation to gain an unfair advantage over their fellowman.
    Last edited by user4; 10-22-2019, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    4 more parents have pleaded guilty in the college admissions scandal.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/20/us/co...ges/index.html

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    While the people behind 400,000 opiod deaths get to give up some $.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    I'd prefer if they threw the book at recipients of the bribes instead of the likes of Huffman. Here is my story from a communist country. When we married, both my wife and I lived in one room of a hostel/dorm type, she actually shared a room with three co-workers. A group of apartment buildings was being erected in town and there was a committee asigning who would be getting an apartment with a list of applicants way longer than available apartments. Yes, I bribed a couple of committee members.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    "Felicity Huffman sentenced to 14 days in prison in college admissions scandal"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...195146827.html

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    "hijacked to serve the primary goal of so many high-income parents, which is to replicate their advantages in their children’s generation."

The horror! How evil of parents. It's too late for my oldest, but I've decided to hobble my younger child; withholding love and resources, so some other kid can have a chance. One success per family is enough!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Football may be withering nationwide but three OKC metro HS that have been sharing other HS or municipal stadiums opened new home campus dedicated stadiums this first week of season
    Ha! You're in the Middle of Conservative Country. The Texas/Okla area will be the last bastion of tackle football!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Football may be withering nationwide but three OKC metro HS that have been sharing other HS or municipal stadiums opened new home campus dedicated stadiums this first week of season

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    w0w

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    If you read to the end, you will find why it is relevant to this thread.

"Meritocracy Is Killing High-School Sports"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sports/597121/

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    It's not just college. I was recently reminded of this old story. In a nutshell:

Securities analyst, who works for a subsidiary of Citigroup, upgrades his rating of AT&T stock. Citigroup's Chairman of the Board, who is also on the Board of AT&T, recommends that the analyst's twins be admitted to a certain nursery school. They are admitted. Citigroup then donates $1 million to the not-for-profit organization that runs the nursery school.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/14/b...ork-story.html

Leave a comment:

• user4
    replied
    while im somewhat happy to see these parents get what they deserve, there is an ironic injustice in all of this, namely that the big fish, the actual orchestrator and ring leader of the entire corrupt and criminal enterprise was offered a deal right from the beginning. And the deal apparently was simply to rat out all these smaller fish parents. Sure the parents are wealthy but in terms of the crimes they are low level players.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    "Rich parents keep behaving badly to get their children into college"
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ri...of2&yptr=yahoo
    Not to start another "kids today . . . !" brouhaha, but this line bears mentioning.

But affluent parents from Potomac, Md. to The Woodlands, Texas, are bending the rules big time by getting disability status for their kids to give them a longer time to take tests;
    This has become pandemic. 40% of my (AP!) students have 'accomodations', all which include 50% longer to take tests. Maybe . . . 5% actually need it because of individual brain processing differences (not that the real-world has such a distinction).

My way around it is to say that I prepared the test to be 40 minutes, and EVERYONE gets an hour. Some 'accommodated' students finish early and some NOT-accommodated ones take the full hour. So yes rich parents hire shrinks to give their kid a pass. We call them 'bull-dozer parents', because they try to remove any impediments in their children's path, not realizing that true growth happens best in the face of challenge and adversity.

Just one of the joys of navigating the tricky sea-lanes of modern institutional pedagogy.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    "Rich parents keep behaving badly to get their children into college"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ri...of2&yptr=yahoo

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    and this is AFTER the sailing coach was caught in the same scandal!!
    Will it be the water polo or swim coach next?
    H20 seems to be a problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X