Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAS upholds IAAF testo rule [Swiss court says no re Semenya] [then yes, then no]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

The phony female? The fake female? Yes for sports, biology is what matters....however,

Sex is more than possession of a pair of balls, and Occam's razor should not be the instrument used to separate the sexes.

"Fetal hormones also affect brain development, producing yet another layer called brain sex. One aspect of brain sex becomes evident at puberty when, usually, certain brain cells stimulate adult male or adult female levels and patterns of hormones that cause adult sexual maturation.

For example, we now know that rather than developing under the direction of a single gene, the fetal embryonic testes or ovaries develop under the direction of opposing gene networks, one of which represses male development while stimulating female differentiation and the other of which does the opposite. What matters, then, is not the presence or absence of a particular gene but the balance of power among gene networks acting together or in a particular sequence. This undermines the possibility of using a simple genetic test to determine “true” sex."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/o...gy-binary.html
    Where sports are concerned, the above complexities are only relevant to intersex individuals. Whatever may be going on in their brains, none of the transgender athletes in question have any such ambiguity with the biology of their body below the head. Their chromosomes and organs and hormones line up to make them physically 100% female or 100% male.

Comment

• The Jeopardy situation is interesting. The all-time female winner Larissa Kelly sent congratulations. Winning at Jeopardy includes intelligence and game play. When we were talking about male/female 10-12% advantage in sprinting, we know about how much the advantage is for elite M vs elite F because of the stats that are certain. In Jeopardy I'd guess about 5% male testosterone advantage resulting from primarily, as Alex said, more assertiveness and aggressiveness, bigger bets and faster buzzer response. Jeopardy followers use the terms martian and venusian betting. I have much more frequently seen women than men bet so low in double jeopardys and finals that it precluded the possibility of winning. Also, Jeopardy is more left-brain oriented, the responses are not artistic or creative, and males have that testosterone bath in utero that shrinks the right side brain and makes them more left-brained.
      So the answer to this question "wondering if anyone else is inexplicably slightly discomfited watching Jeopardy these days" is that, me, a person who recorded and watched every Jeopardy game over the past several years with Alex hosting, did not make it to the first commercial with Amy I was so discomfited. There is nothing at all feminine about Amy from the male features to the male voice to the male gameplay.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Wonder what the actual woman leader's thoughts are on this? Maybe doesn't care because it's a gameshow?
        We don't care because it's not a competition separated into male and female, and there are no special prizes for the highest scoring woman.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

We don't care because it's not a competition separated into male and female, and there are no special prizes for the highest scoring woman.
          No I meant the Jeopardy women's winnings leader. I wonder what she thinks about all this...if she does at all. She still has her winnings so she might not care at all, but maybe she does strictly on the idea of "bragging rights" and on the principle that trans people and their rabid advocates are trampling the [email protected]* all over women currently.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Where sports are concerned, the above complexities are only relevant to intersex individuals. Whatever may be going on in their brains, none of the transgender athletes in question have any such ambiguity with the biology of their body below the head. Their chromosomes and organs and hormones line up to make them physically 100% female or 100% male.
            I know all of this. My point was that referring to a trans person as "pseudo female" is something I'd avoid, because the complexities mentioned are very relevant to a trans person outside of sport, and sport is but one part of life. In fact, many of those complexities are likely at play in more than just trans people. Particularly anything to do with brain development.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

No I meant the Jeopardy women's winnings leader. I wonder what she thinks about all this...if she does at all. She still has her winnings so she might not care at all, but maybe she does strictly on the idea of "bragging rights" and on the principle that trans people and their rabid advocates are trampling the [email protected]* all over women currently.
              What do you think, military tribunal, or kill them in the streets? That's what the rabid advocates of anti-vaccination are threatening for hospital staff. Surely this must be worse. You have me convinced.

Comment

• Originally posted by moreover View Post
                A. males have that testosterone bath in utero that shrinks the right side brain and makes them more left-brained.
                B. There is nothing at all feminine about Amy from the male features to the male voice to the male gameplay.
                A. I have taught 'the brain' for many years in AP Psychology and do not believe that is even remotely true. Can you cite a biology website to back that up? There are definitely sex differences both in structure and 'wiring', but men's brains are bigger in the same proportion as their heads are, and they do tend to use their right hemisphere less than women do, but size has nothing to do with it.
                B. I find her charmingly feminine.

Comment

• this thread is on the fast track to extinction (again)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                    this thread is on the fast track to extinction (again)
                    At this point, it certainly does seem 'played out'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      A. I have taught 'the brain' for many years in AP Psychology and do not believe that is even remotely true. Can you cite a biology website to back that up? There are definitely sex differences both in structure and 'wiring', but men's brains are bigger in the same proportion as their heads are, and they do tend to use their right hemisphere less than women do, but size has nothing to do with it.
                      B. I find her charmingly feminine.
                      😲🤔🤔😲

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                        this thread is on the fast track to extinction (again)

funny-gif-cat-in-starbucks-bag.gif

Comment

• Well, it did liven up Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            Well, it did liven up Sunday.
                            Certainly more than my valiant effort to at least leave the home for a few moments to do anything but stay inside yet another day. It was a balmy 26F (-3C) and winds were 44 km/hr so a wonderful
                            day for a run. Ugh. At some point between now and Tuesday morning the low will be -5.8 F or -21 C. Tomorrow it's a high of -11C with winds over 30 (not counting any gust). We went into lock down again on Wednesday. No gyms, pools, indoor dining. I wonder how many more variants we'll be able to name before this is all over. If ever.

And to keep on topic, I somehow doubt I'll ever get so bored I want to get a sex change. Oh - silly me, that's impossible. I was assigned at birth.

Comment

• Originally posted by me
                              I find her charmingly feminine.
                              Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                              😲🤔🤔😲
                              I didn't say YOU would! 🤔

Comment

• before limiting the subject to DSD track athletes, which is where it belongs, especially as we go into the 2022 season, I was entertained by Atticus calling me out because I am probably making statements based on things I read 30-40 years ago. So in my effort to do a little research to see what I recollected, I was just entertained by this NY Times article from 1985. https://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/24/s...-the-womb.html I have no idea what the current consensus is on left-right brainedness.

Comment

Working...
                                X