Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovering Women's Collegiate Softball

Yes, I said "disovering"!
    OK, I obviously knew about the sport, and maybe had watched a few minutes of a game or two here or there!

But it's only been the past week that I truly WATCHED the sport!!

Here's what I found---

I watched a few games from the ACC and PAC-12 Conferences!
    I have no idea of how recent these games were!

1, It's a serious spoirt, played by serious players!

2. Games are 7 innings long!

3. There is an "8 run rule". This means there are no 15-0 blowouts! The game ends whenever one team moves ahead by 8 runs, whether it's the 3rd inning or the 7th!!

Pitchers throw underhanded, and a fastball travels about 70 MPH!

Fielders are damn good, making some plays that Major Leaguers would appreciate!!

4. Bases are 60 feet apart instead of 90!! So scoring from 1st base on a long single is not unusual!!

5. The comaraderie of the players is up front, as after every good play or hit , the other players congratulate & high-five that playerQQ

6. Coaches are mostly women, although there are 1 or 2 male oaches!!

7. One or two pitchers pitch practically the entire season! So unlike recent MLB pitchers, they'll pitch mostly complete games, and well over 100 pitches per game, then returning the vry next day for another 100+ pitch game!!

7. Uniforms are professional looking and nice!!
    \8. These are WOMEN playing this game! For example, in one game, the pitcher sudden;y called a time out, and called for the trainer! It was because one of her fingernails had broken, and needed repair and bandaging!! After 2 minutes of so, she continued pitching!!

Don't know all the measurements, but the outfield fences look to be about 290 to 320 feet or so!!

The games I watched got good attendance and the crowds were very loud, as were the teammates!!

Fina;ly, it's a very enjoyable sport to watch~~

One negative---the networks that carried these games didn't show the entire game---they'd skip an inning or two if nothing significant happened---due to networl time limits!!c

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Oh no you DINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Oh no you DINT!
      Say what?
      No comprende!!
      LOL

Comment

With OU women ridiing a 45 game win streak, softball is a big deal around here.

Comment

too pitcher-dominated for me

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Say what? No comprende!!LOL
            [**grumble, grumble** . . . if ya gotta splane a joke, it ain't funny]

You wrote 'discovering' in the title and then you wrote

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              This is what I like about fast pitch softball.
              Because the runs are so precious, a little thing here and there makes a huge difference for the outcome. And there is far more importance on fielding and base running.

When I am doing one of my "easy runs" on a treadmill, this is a perfect sport to watch.

Comment

Agreed although when contact is made the fielders can certainly play the game.

Comment

Oregon had a great team last year...then the coach went to Texas and everyone had a tantrum and left...so the Ducks suck this year...they have a fancy stadium right near Hayward....apparently it wasn't enough...

Comment

Agree. The pitching rubber needs to be moved back to at least 50 feet from the current 43. Still wouldnt be even close to baseball's distance of 60'6"
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

It's a nice sunny day today here in town....I might go to the game today....

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                        Agree. The pitching rubber needs to be moved back to at least 50 feet from the current 43. Still wouldnt be even close to baseball's distance of 60'6"
                        Google just told me that 'good' women pitch 20mph less than men pitch in baseball, so doing the math, the softball rubber should be around 46.6 feet (90 vs. 70mph) to get the same amount of time . . . but men have slightly faster reaction times (does the IAAF know this?!*), so maybe 45' would be comparable.

*edit: just found this
                        http://www.asbweb.org/conferences/2009/869.pdf

with this interesting quote:

The minimum (humanly) possible reaction times for world-class male and female sprinters are 124 ms and 130 ms, respectively.
                        which would make 44.4' (women's pitching distance) the equivalent of 60'6".

I doubt any of these numbers are definitive, but they're in the ball park (pun!!).
                        Last edited by Atticus; 05-10-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

On the other hand, other things being equal, making a contact with a softball is easier because it is larger.

Comment

It may not be true in Division 1, but I sat in on a div. 2 or 3 game at Texas Baptist U. in Marshall, TX a few years back and they do something odd if the game goes into more than a two extra innings:
                            In the next inning, for each team, the inning starts with the batter that made the last out in the prior inning perched on 2nd base. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                              the inning starts with the batter that made the last out in the prior inning perched on 2nd base. Weird.
                              Small ball! Bunts and sac flies push her around the bases for that all-important run.

Comment

Working...
                              X