Transgender Athletes Dominating High School and College Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    She wasn't competing for a medal, or a state championship event limited to 8 finalists, or a spot on a school team with a limited roster size.
    That does not mean "all" would give up if they had no chance of winning a medal or making a state championship. There will be some who are willing to try to achieve whatever they could achieve under the circumstances.

Katie Ledecky is fast enough to make the final of US Olympic trial in men's 1500m free. That would be lauded as a monumental achievement in a parallel world of open gender sports. Is that better? I don't think so. But that does not mean all women would stop competing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      No wonder needed. The females would all give up at the unfair advantage males enjoy. And the world of sport would be far less enjoyable.
      Some might give up. Some might compete to see what they could achieve. Possibly more importantly, some would file lawsuits vs. whomever they deemed responsible for the unfairness involved...a point I'd agree with. However it also might help move forward what the parameters are for men/women designations in sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Some might give up. Some might compete to see what they could achieve. Possibly more importantly, some would file lawsuits vs. whomever they deemed responsible for the unfairness involved...a point I'd agree with.
        Absolutely! This would be a field day for some Law Dudes.
        Last edited by tandfman; 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Katie Ledecky is fast enough to make the final of US Olympic trial in men's 1500m free.
          That's somewhat a specious argument. Ledecky is the absolute GOAT of female distance swimmers - zero argument there from anyone involved in swimming. And US men's distance swimming has not been strong since the 1970s - we last won the 1,500 metre men's freestyle in 1976, and since then, save 1984, have won only 3 medals in the event, 2 silvers and a bronze.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Some might give up. Some might compete to see what they could achieve. Possibly more importantly, some would file lawsuits vs. whomever they deemed responsible for the unfairness involved...a point I'd agree with.
            In most sports you would effectively be preventing women from having a professional career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

In most sports you would effectively be preventing women from having a professional career.
              Most sports? ....other than Netball....it would be every sport....not even the best would have a chance....

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Most sports? ....other than Netball....it would be every sport....not even the best would have a chance....
                I was thinking mainly of sports involving horse riding and motorsports where a small number of women like Danica Patrick and the '80s rally driver Michele Mouton have had some success. Basically, sports where the motive power is non-human. Also, sports where it tends to help to have money in the first place to start and progress.

Actually, if all sport was mixed-sex then I assume netball would be open to men. Would have suited a younger me as I'm 6'2" and useless at dribbling!
                Last edited by Trickstat; 06-06-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  Most sports? ....other than Netball.
                  Taller men have a distinct advantage in that sport too. Closer to the net when shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Taller men have a distinct advantage in that sport too. Closer to the net when shooting.
                    Men in Netball would destroy that too.....

There isn't a single team sport men wouldn't compete dominate...

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                      That does not mean "all" would give up if they had no chance of winning a medal or making a state championship. There will be some who are willing to try to achieve whatever they could achieve under the circumstances.

Katie Ledecky is fast enough to make the final of US Olympic trial in men's 1500m free. That would be lauded as a monumental achievement in a parallel world of open gender sports. Is that better? I don't think so. But that does not mean all women would stop competing.
                      Was anybody here trying to say that all women would stop competing? You're arguing against a point that no one was making.

There would still be some girls and women in amateur sports without sex-separated competition, but in drastically reduced numbers. And they'd be completely absent from most sports at the highest levels, like NCAA D1 and professional leagues and the Olympics.

Comment

• In professional team sports women wouldn't have a hope.....

Comment

• User4 is one of a million forum readers that have never heard of "netball".

Comment

• Thank you, user 4. I've never heard of it either, unless it's another name for team handball.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                              Thank you, user 4. I've never heard of it either, unless it's another name for team handball.
                              No, completely different sports. Netball is a variant of basketball played almost exclusively by women. There is an overhead basket but no backboard. Popular in the Commonwealth countries especially Australasia.

Comment

• To oversimplify it, netball is basically basketball with no backboard, and no dribbling of the ball (once the ball is caught, the player cannot move until they pass or shoot).

But the lack of dribbling would give female players a better chance of having a spot on an open-gender team than in basketball, or an all-female team beating an all-male team at the amateur levels. A group of male players who have never played basketball together can use one-on-one dribbling and speed to dominate a women's basketball team that has been playing together for years, but in netball you can't dribble so it's more about stringing together a series of precision passes, which is a problem for teams who haven't played together much.
                                Last edited by 18.99s; 06-07-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X