Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    And if not good enough to make the boys'team with a male body and unmodified T, they're in the same position as all the various boys who weren't good enough to make the boys' team. Those boys don't get to join the girls' team for the sake of participation; they just have to suck it up buttercup and try again next season if they still have eligibility, or try another sport, or a less competitive league (e.g. junior varsity or an external rec league), or accept the life of being a nonathlete just like billions do.
    Exactly . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      I have never categorically rejected your #1 as an option. That's your false assumption. If that's what the overwhelming majority of cis female athletes want, that should be the answer.

We have not seen any evidence one way or another, in spite of very confident declaration by certain posters.
      You're talking about two different things. Would I be okay with a solution based a hypothetical national, secret-ballot poll of all natural-born female athletes even if they didn't choose option #1? Certainly, and though I can only speak for myself, I surmise that the other category 1 folks on this thread would be okay with it too. Half the time I cast votes in elections the candidate I chose loses but I always accept the outcome regardless. Being a supporter of democratically-based conflict resolutions doesn't make one neutral, and you've already stated that you believe competitive fairness should be sacrificed to accommodate transgender athletes.

Originally posted by TN1965
      I also do not think the most important objective of youth sports is to provide competitive fairness to all participants.
      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 04-06-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

you've already stated that you believe competitive fairness should be sacrificed to accommodate transgender athletes.
        No, I haven't. I stated I did not believe competitive fairness was the most important thing about youth sports. I didn't write it should be sacrificed to accommodate trans athletes.

But I did write the following

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...80#post1682480

Unlike most people on this board, I have no conviction or agenda. I honestly don't know what the best solution to this problem is. My opinion has shifted back and forth, and will probably change multiple times. And I don't see how I can find a perfect solution to this problem.
        I guess this doesn't sound neutral to some people.

Comment

• TN1965, I will agree with you on one point: there is no.perfect solution because genuine intersex athletes who may have been raised as girls from the time of birth based on the advice of doctors, will suffer with option #1, and natural-born girls will suffer with the other options.

Comment

• Drop the boys'/mens' designation from sports and call them unisex, all gender, open or some other genderless word or phrase. If you're male, trans in either direction, intersex, or a cis woman looking for a challenge, that's where you can go.

Most professional sports have already done that; the league where men compete is named XYZ, not men's anything, with women also eligible to compete if they're good enough (which has occasionally happened in the NHL and PGA and NASCAR), while the women's league is the WXYZ or LXYZ.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

A Mystery For the Ages: Why Do Women Play in Separate Sports Leagues From Men?

https://jabberwocking.com/a-mystery-...gues-from-men/

Comment

• Oklahoma legislature introduced a bill yesterday to prohibit biological males from competing against biological females, no exceptions for surgical or chemical tinkering. One lone dissenter, a female who spoke out about hurting the "feelings" of transgender females. There have been no known (or publicized) transgender incidents in Oklahoma.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  A Mystery For the Ages: Why Do Women Play in Separate Sports Leagues From Men?
                  Yeah! And why do we separate kids from adults? I could DOMINATE any 6-year-old! Well, . . .most of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Yeah! And why do we separate kids from adults? I could DOMINATE any 6-year-old! Well, . . .most of them.
                    If you read the link that is what he says.

Comment

• This discussion always reminds me of Chris Rock's comment on the absurdity of gender classifications for Best Actor Academy Awards, an observation based on the common sense of having such a distinction in track & field.

https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene...ars-monologue/

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                        This discussion always reminds me of Chris Rock's comment on the absurdity of gender classifications for Best Actor Academy Awards, an observation based on the common sense of having such a distinction in track & field.

https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene...ars-monologue/
                        I can see reasonable grounds for separate gender classifications in acting awards, given that most major roles just aren't available to both genders. Matt Damon may compete for the same role vs. Denzel and Schwarzenegger, but Halle Berry and Jennifer Lawrence won't be considered for that role.

To make another track & field analogy, playing male and female roles is almost like two disparate events such as discus and steeplechase; there are different physiological characteristics and skills involved, and any given person is extremely unlikely to be good at both.

But there's no reason to restrict transgender actors in either direction, given that they're going to be at a natural disadvantage in trying to do a convincing job of playing the character. Or neither advantaged nor disadvantaged, depending on their voice and look.
                        Last edited by 18.99s; 04-09-2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Cheryl Reeve, Napheesa Collier of Minnesota Lynx call on NCAA to take action for transgender athletes

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ender-athletes

Comment

Cheryl Reeve, Napheesa Collier of Minnesota Lynx call on NCAA to take action for transgender athletes
                            Minnesota Lynx head coach Cheryl Reeve and forward Napheesa Collier have joined current and former NCAA athletes and LGBTQ advocates in calling on the NCAA to take action in response to legislative measures restricting access to athletics for transgender athletes that are being considered and enacted across the country.
                            Are they even aware that the NCAA itself already 'discriminates' against MtF trans by requiring testosterone limits?

Comment

Cheryl Reeve, Napheesa Collier of Minnesota Lynx call on NCAA to take action for transgender athletes

"I consider transgender women my teammates, not a threat," Collier said.
                              Well, your team would win more with transgender women on your team. But maybe you never stopped to think about them being on your opponents' team dominating you, or you being cut from your team to be replaced by them.

Comment

• As an aside. A piece of British sporting history. Rachael Blackmore (who is actually Irish) has just become the first woman jockey to ride the winner in the Grand National, the biggest horse race in the UK:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/horse-racing/55503214

I think it may have been mentioned upthread that where the motive power comes from elsewhere, a female rider or driver can be more competitive than in other sports.
                                Last edited by Trickstat; 04-10-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X