Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
    As an aside. A piece of British sporting history. Rachael Blackmore (who is actually Irish) has just become the first woman jockey to ride the winner in the Grand National, the biggest horse race in the UK:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/horse-racing/55503214

I think it may have been mentioned upthread that where the motive power comes from elsewhere, a female rider or driver can be more competitive than in other sports.
    In horse racing women being lighter isn't an advantage. Horses have to carry the same weight.

https://www.racingexplained.co.uk/jo...-weighing-out/

In Indy cars because of their light weight Danica Patrick had an advantage being so much lighter than the men....an advantage that disappeared in NASCAR where she was no where as successful.

Comment

• Watch Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger's Powerful Statement in Support of Trans Student Athletes

Krieger added that they were speaking out on behalf of trans student athletes, because trans students want the opportunities to play sports for the same reason other kids do: "to be a part of a team where they feel like they belong."

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/ash...video-48261279

Comment

• Stuff like that is hardly surprising these days...Everyone jumps on the cultural bandwagon....especially when it doesn't affect them at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Meanwhile...

A Mystery For the Ages: Why Do Women Play in Separate Sports Leagues From Men?

https://jabberwocking.com/a-mystery-...gues-from-men/
          A very good comment on that page:

It comes from a fear that some trans activists have that if any concession is made that in some narrow realm, there is a difference recognized between a cis woman and a trans woman, that somehow that will destroy the entire edifice of trans rights and that people will think that trans women aren't actually women.
          The activists fail to recognize that their hard-line position is weakening their cause. Legislation to protect transgender rights would get far less resistance if they weren't pushing so hard for transwomen in women's sports and downplaying the athletic advantages of the male body.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
            The activists fail to recognize that their hard-line position is weakening their cause. Legislation to protect transgender rights would get far less resistance if they weren't pushing so hard for transwomen in women's sports and downplaying the athletic advantages of the male body.
            The exact same can be said about the other side as well. Legislation to "protect women's sports" would face far less resistance if they weren't pushing so hard for prohibiting hormone therapy (including puberty blockers) for minors, eliminating LGBTQ awareness education from K-12 schools and so forth, and downplaying the psychological damage on trans kids.

BOTH sides are controlled by fundamentalists who refuse to yield an inch because they believe doing so would lead to a slippery slope. (Sounds familiar?)

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              The exact same can be said about the other side as well. Legislation to "protect women's sports" would face far less resistance if they weren't pushing so hard for prohibiting hormone therapy (including puberty blockers) for minors, eliminating LGBTQ awareness education from K-12 schools and so forth, and downplaying the psychological damage on trans kids.

BOTH sides are controlled by fundamentalists who refuse to yield an inch because they believe doing so would lead to a slippery slope. (Sounds familiar?)
              I don't see anyone on here falling into the category you described. At least a few (including me) are totally pro-LGBTQ rights, but just don't think it fair to apply the same rules to sports as to other areas of life. I find it strongly offensive when I hear I'm being controlled by right-wing fundamentalists.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                At least a few (including me) are totally pro-LGBTQ rights, but just don't think it fair to apply the same rules to sports as to other areas of life. I find it strongly offensive when I hear I'm being controlled by right-wing fundamentalists.
                Totally agree, however, no one has EVER accused me of being a right-wing anything. No one I personally know on the left thinks that MtF trans should compete as females without a 'commitment' to being physically trans also (i.e., lowered t-levels).

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

I don't see anyone on here falling into the category you described. At least a few (including me) are totally pro-LGBTQ rights, but just don't think it fair to apply the same rules to sports as to other areas of life. I find it strongly offensive when I hear I'm being controlled by right-wing fundamentalists.
                  I don't see anyone on this board falls into the category of "trans activists" described in 18.99's post. So he is allowed to discuss people outside of this board, but I am not? That's an interesting concept. I wonder why that's the case.

And if you think women's sports are under imminent threat, and the only way to save women's sports is to ban all trans athletes from the female division, then you are indeed played by right-wing fundamentalists, whether you like it or not. It is particularly the case if you believe trans boys should be forced to compete against cis girls. Sorry if that offends you.

Comment

And if you think women's sports are under imminent threat, and the only way to save women's sports is to ban all trans athletes from the female division, then you are indeed played by right-wing fundamentalists, whether you like it or not.
                    The NCAA is doing the right thing - if you're serious about becoming a trans athlete, undergo t-reduction therapy. It's a 'radical' thing to do, but being trans is a huge commitment, not to be taken lightly or for the wrong reasons. If you know in your heart that you were born in the 'wrong' body, you should welcome whatever needs to happen for you to follow your bliss.

I'm not sure how others may feel about this, but if you're one of those who are 'fluid' . . . one day you feel male, the next day you feel female - maybe some days you feel both - or neither, so you don't want to commit to physical changes, then you should steer away from sex-specific activities, like sports. Same if you'd like to keep your options open in the future.

U B U - whatever that is - I'm all for it!!!
                    But don't disadvantage bio-females in the process

Comment

• I vowed to stop repeating myself on this thread but, apparently, I am one of those devious, manipulative "right-wing fundamentalists". Right-wing, proudly, but I don't see how that has any bearing on my fact/science-based, widely accepted, bi-partisan opinion on the unfair advantage of male to female transgender athletes. I don't understand It/them but I am not anti-LGBTXYZ. Obviously, there are exceptional biological females who can compete head to head with (some ) biological males. And, there are hundreds/thousands/millions of men who can surpass every women's record holder in their event.Life is not fair. That is the way of nature. Obviously, some people feel differently and that is their prerogative but no one will ever convince me there is any justification for allowing biological males to compete against biological females.
                      Lone Wolf Out.

Comment

This is a strawman argument because I know of no sports governing body at any level that has weighed in on transgender folks do with their bodies outside of sports.

Comment

And if you think women's sports are under imminent threat, and the only way to save women's sports is to ban all trans athletes from the female division, then you are indeed played by right-wing fundamentalists, whether you like it or not.
                          This is not a statement that would come from a neutral observer who has no dog in the fight.

Originally posted by TN1965
                          It is particularly the case if you believe trans boys should be forced to compete against cis girls. Sorry if that offends you.
                          I believe everyone on this board believes male divisions should be open divisions.

Comment

• It should be instructive that right lonewolf and left Atticus, who have one thing in common: extensive T&F experience, agree on this. I wonder why (not).
                            People who do NOT have extensive athletics experience simply do not fully understand the issue. And that's the problem we're having now, esp. with politicians, who feel beholden to the respective polar positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              I vowed to stop repeating myself on this thread ...
                              go ahead, everybody else is!

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                                This is a strawman argument because I know of no sports governing body at any level that has weighed in on transgender folks do with their bodies outside of sports.
                                No sporting body has done that, but I think TN1965 is referring to the North Carolina state legislature pushing to ban transitioning hormones or surgery for anybody under 21. And it may already be illegal for under 18 in many or most states.

Comment

Working...
                                X