Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

go ahead, everybody else is!
    Indeed....it has gotten dull ...though being called a right wing stooge was new!

Comment

• This may have been mentioned before, but I'm sure for some on this board the taking up of this issue by the political right (under the banner of saving women's sports) is kind of like a broken clock being right twice a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
        This may have been mentioned before, but I'm sure for some on this board the taking up of this issue by the political right (under the banner of saving women's sports) is kind of like a broken clock being right twice a day.
        About a hundred posts ago: https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...62#post1682462

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

No sporting body has done that, but I think TN1965 is referring to the North Carolina state legislature pushing to ban transitioning hormones or surgery for anybody under 21. And it may already be illegal for under 18 in many or most states.
          And 15 other states, including Arkansas which already passed the bill over the governor's veto.

Trans youth: 15 states consider bills on gender-confirmation treatment (usatoday.com)

But apparently, we are only allowed to discuss what the sports governing bodies decide, because politics is off limits on this board.
          Last edited by TN1965; 04-12-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            It should be instructive that right lonewolf and left Atticus, who have one thing in common: extensive T&F experience, agree on this. I wonder why (not).
            People who do NOT have extensive athletics experience simply do not fully understand the issue. And that's the problem we're having now, esp. with politicians, who feel beholden to the respective polar positions.
            Yeah. But the voices of athletes and coaches do not count unless they agree with transgender bans. They are "vocal minorities" and "cultural bandwagoners." Their voices count only when they are speaking on behalf of the "silent majority."

Comment

• The Onion has something to say about this:

Headline - New Arkansas Bill Would Require Teen Residents To Keep Genitals On Full Display At All Times

https://www.theonion.com/new-arkansa...eep-1846651631

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

Yeah. But the voices of athletes and coaches do not count unless they agree with transgender bans. They are "vocal minorities" and "cultural bandwagoners." Their voices count only when they are speaking on behalf of the "silent majority."
                I don't trust what any athletes states publically but I do trust secret ballots as an accurate gauge of what people really think.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  I don't trust what any athletes states publically but I do trust secret ballots as an accurate gauge of what people really think.
                  Especially on such a politically loaded topic....they don't mean much.

Comment

No sporting body has done that, but I think TN1965 is referring to the North Carolina state legislature pushing to ban transitioning hormones or surgery for anybody under 21. And it may already be illegal for under 18 in many or most states.
                    I have no problem with allowing folks 18 and older to get this treatment but I'm not sure about minors since our society doesn't trust their judgement on most other important matters.

Comment

I have no problem with allowing folks 18 and older to get this treatment but I'm not sure about minors since our society doesn't trust their judgement on most other important matters.
                      Going 'full trans' at 17 is not something you want to have to regret at 21, when it's a little late to change your mind. I would not allow my under-18 child to do it. After that, we'd have a long discussion, but ultimately the decision would be his/hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Especially on such a politically loaded topic....they don't mean much.
                        But it means everything when a few athletes file lawsuits because they represent the silent majority?

Here is the latest opinion poll. (p.249 in the link below.)

59% of men support a transgender ban. 29% oppose.
                        46% of women support, 34% oppose.
                        43% of Gen Z support, 44% oppose.
                        56% of millennials support, 28% oppose.
                        52% of Gen X support, 33% oppose.
                        50% of boomers support, 32% oppose.

What is the most important demographics? I'd say Gen Z women, but I guess other people would disagree.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...a-3efba0ac0000

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Going 'full trans' at 17 is not something you want to have to regret at 21, when it's a little late to change your mind. I would not allow my under-18 child to do it. After that, we'd have a long discussion, but ultimately the decision would be his/hers.
                          I think the current medical standard is okay. (Hormone starting at 16 and surgery at 18.) Anyone under 16 can still take puberty blocker so that they can delay the decision.

But if you allow trans kids to take puberty blocker, you cannot argue that their male puberty gives them advantage in sports. So that has to be banned.

Comment

I would like to know what sports these athletes compete in and how many of them are transgenders themselves.
                            A full list of athletes here.

https://www.athleteally.org/student-letter-ncaa-hb500/

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              118 from a single college Ithaca.

Comment

That's a typically US thing, though. Pretty much all the rest of the world gives people full rights at 18.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X