Administrator

• gh
    replied
    i think it best we just shut this puppy down

Leave a comment:

• Pego

• Pego
    replied
    I hope to be able to say this last thing safely. I am so tired of nonsensical labels and I am clearly not alone.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus

• Atticus
    replied
    oops, sorry, I just saw the warning, after I had posted. I will delete it if desired.
    Atticus
    Last edited by Atticus; 05-20-2021, 08:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    ok,, we're way off topic here....

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy

• bad hammy
    replied
    Woke can be dumb and it can be smart. For example

1. Dumb woke: defund the police

2. Smart woke: get the cops out of front-line mental health duty and reallocate the resources they needed to deal with mental issues to those folks better able to deal with them, like the CAHOOTS program here in Eugene, recently publicized nationwide and now getting traction in other jurisdictions, such as San Diego: https://www.10news.com/news/in-depth...ealth-services

1. Dumb woke: TG guys-to-gals should be able to compete against women in athletic events.
    2. Smart woke: run against the guys or join a band.
    bad hammy
    Last edited by bad hammy; 05-20-2021, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    They are perceived as using the "heckler's veto," or worse, to get their way.
    The rioters aren't the woke; rioters are their own group of stupid. The woke are those who insist on 57 gender pronouns and whack you for using the wrong one for a particular person, think there is no athletically relevant difference between men and women, blame ongoing* racism and sexism for every disparate outcome, and promote cancel culture to get people fired for minor misspeaks.

(Such as so-called "peaceful" burning and looting.)
    You're making the common mistake of lumping in rioters with peaceful protesters. A thousand people could be having a peaceful protest, then a dozen hooligans who have no affiliation with the original thousand show up and start wrecking things, and people watching it on TV or Youtube paint the entire crowd as violent rioters. There can be peaceful protesters and violent rioters in the same area at the same time, but that doesn't mean they're the same people.

*I used the word "ongoing" to make the distinction between past racism and sexism (e.g. Jim Crow, redlining, etc.) which caused disparities in current conditions, vs. ongoing racism and sexism still committed by today's racists and sexists.
    18.99s
    Last edited by 18.99s; 05-20-2021, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Rioters are decidedly NOT woke. They're the opposite of that. Woke simply means thinking about others before yourself.
    The AmHer def is

If you are aware, you'll do whatever you can to not perpetuate it.
    I think you've reiterated the point that the word "woke" has been bastardized and claimed by folk who (ironically?) aren't woke. The word has lost its power. It's so tightly wrapped up with people who do the above mentioned bad things that I don't think it can be untangled. So ultimately you're right, another word or phrase needs to be used in its place.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    the "woke." They are perceived as using the "heckler's veto," or worse, to get their way.
    Rioters are decidedly NOT woke. They're the opposite of that. Woke simply means thinking about others who may have fewer systemic advantages than you.

The AmHer def is

Aware of the injustice of the social system in which one lives.
    If you are aware, you'll do whatever you can to not perpetuate it.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Kill 'em with kindness! If they have a soul, they will be abashed. If not, you're still one of the good guys!
    I wish that were true all the way around. And if you ask joe-public on the street that is decidedly what isn't happening amongst the "woke." They are perceived as using the "heckler's veto," or worse, to get their way. (Such as so-called "peaceful" burning and looting.) Again, I wish this wasn't the case.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego View Post
    Oh, well.
    Kill 'em with kindness! If they have a soul, they will be abashed. If not, you're still one of the good guys!

Leave a comment:

• Pego

• Pego
    replied
    Because then we're no better than the anti-woke people!
    Oh, well.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego View Post
    What about "trying not to be an asshole"?
    Because then we're no better than the anti-woke people!

Leave a comment:

• Pego

• Pego
    replied
    If you exchange 'some' for 'the' as the third word, I totally agree. I would posit that the vast majority of woke (terrible term, I'd prefer 'has a 21st century enlightened attitude' ) people are merely trying to eliminate the Neanderthal attitudes of the 20th Century (and before).
    What about "trying not to be an asshole"?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus

• Atticus
    replied
    How are soph, junior, and senior sexist? Because PennSt said they were?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X