Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    my local critic is typically down on Ritchie movies, and this one is no exception. The headline to his review: "Ritchie's signature ineptitude on display"
    They are not for the intellectual set. Enjoy them...or not. Probably one of the better dialog writers going!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Ha! JP's Joker will never have the chance to match wits with Batman. He'll be way too busy chairing the Negativity Committee proceedings n his head.
      Heath Ledger's character was psychopathic with crystal clarity and plenty of resources to conduct the epic mind duels with B.
      Interesting! Either way, I can't wait to see. I love the grittier turn in the Marvel Universe (although I also love the comic-book-colors look of the Tim Burton one).
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Oscars are tomorrow and I've seen two of the Best Pic nominees. Picking the best between the two was easy - Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (his best movie since Pulp Fiction; the other nominee I've seen was The Irishman). I predict that Hollywood turns out for Tarantino and he wins for movie and director, Phoenix for best actor (just a guess, didn't watch it) and Zellweger for best actress (she was excellent).

I'd add that Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent in Once Upon a Time - it's my favorite LDC performance. He plays a washed up actor and his scenes playing an actor preparing for and acting in a movie scene were some of the best inside-Hollywood-production movie making I've seen. That said, I'm thinking the Academy will go elsewhere for best actor.
        Last edited by bad hammy; 02-08-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Turns out my ex-local movie review dude Mick LsSalle agrees with me on Once Upon a Time, with a roundabout and reasoned way of getting there.

Comment

I'm betting: 1917 for best picture. Phoenix for actor. Zellwegger for actress, or is it actor of the feminine persuasion? The money for supporting actors seems to be Pitt and Dern. Big upset might be "Parasite" for picture.

Comment

I just knew Joaquin was going to win.. I could feel it in my bones!! .. Absolutely one of the best ever, Based on is speech, he is still coming down from the role.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                I just knew Joaquin was going to win.. I could feel it in my bones!! .. Absolutely one of the best ever, Based on is speech, he is still coming down from the role.
                Nope that's Phoenix. He was like that on 60 minutes a few weeks back. Very private, hippie family, lived in a cult for a while. As someone said: "Great actor, lousy movie star."

Comment

So how many of us have seen "Parasite?" Saw it months ago. I am sure the subtitles will keep most Americans away. I bet they come up with a dubbed version for Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Nope that's Phoenix. He was like that on 60 minutes a few weeks back. Very private, hippie family, lived in a cult for a while. As someone said: "Great actor, lousy movie star."
                    I love him!... He is absolutely mind bendingly convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      my local critic is typically down on Ritchie movies, and this one is no exception. The headline to his review: "Ritchie's signature ineptitude on display"
                      but he may have found somebody he hates more! In recent review of Birds Of Prey, which was headlined Birds Flies To Height Of Awfulness he said, "This Birds Of Prey crew makes Guy Ritchie seem like Orson Welles."

Comment

Now if you go according to the critics:
                        https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/50...l/parasite-11/
                        I have seen 3 1/2 (Irishman the 1/2) and #11 and #12. This year maybe the year that a South Korean movie (Parasite) wins the Oscar.
                        Ahem!!!

Comment

Finally saw "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." Just another Tarantino B Grade movie. Pitt was O.K., but an Oscar???

Comment

Just another Tarantino B Grade movie
                            C-

Comment

Finally saw "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." Just another Tarantino B Grade movie. Pitt was O.K., but an Oscar???
                              Yeah, I didn't get that either

Comment

Time to name drop - my nephew Taika Waititi of Te Whanau a Apanui won an Oscar with Jo Jo Rabbit. A lot of celebrating last week on our whanau (family) marae.

Comment

Working...
                                X