Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    He shot the goal then jumped in the air ..hardly the same as CR. .
    Actually he didn't jump - he got tripped after he shot the goal which was why he was airborne

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      Actually he didn't jump - he got tripped after he shot the goal which was why he was airborne
      Yeah...that's it...I was a big Blackhawks fan then....

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        CR's elevation is enormous, not unlike Jordan's 'foul-line dunk' at the 0:57 mark here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=038j-yrL0J4
        Slum dunk contests are like gymnastics and figure skating. They have complete control over what they do. For that, apparatus finals of men's gymnastics are fun to watch. My recent favorite is Kenzo Shirai on vault and floor.

If you are talking about Jordan, this play is more impressive than anything he did in slum dunk contests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7vsjOHq5E0

Comment

Another great Jordan moment....

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            Slum dunk contests are like gymnastics and figure skating. They have complete control over what they do. For that, apparatus finals of men's gymnastics are fun to watch. My recent favorite is Kenzo Shirai on vault and floor.

If you are talking about Jordan, this play is more impressive than anything he did in slum dunk contests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7vsjOHq5E0
            I agree with this 100%. Ronaldo's feat happened in a game which makes it superior to anything I've ever seen anyone do in a slam dunk contest. The best baseball comparison I can think of is Ben Revere's catch which is better than Willie Mays' famous catch IMO.

Comment

I can't find a video of it, but I'd rank Jackie Robinson's catch in the 12th inning of the last game of the regular season in 1951 way up there.

Here's how Red Smith, the legendary sports writer, described it:

>> "The ball is a blur passing second base, difficult to follow in the half light, impossible to catch," Red Smith wrote. "Jackie Robinson catches it. He flings himself headlong at right angles to the flight of the ball, for an instant his body is suspended in midair, then somehow the outstretched glove intercepts the ball inches off the ground."

The second baseman didn't immediately get up; in the fall he had jammed his left elbow into his solar plexus so hard that he had the wind knocked from him. Several minutes later, Robinson rose groggily and walked uncertainly to the dugout. . . .<<

"Of all the pictures left upon memory," Smith wrote, "the one that will always flash back first shows [Robinson] stretched at full length in the insubstantial twilight, the unconquerable doing the impossible."

(Having saved the game with that catch in the bottom of the 12th, Robinson then hit a game-winning home run in the 14th, keeping the Dodgers' pennant hopes alive. Their playoff against the Giants did not end so well.)
              Last edited by tandfman; 12-22-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I watch very little soccer, but I did catch Dennis Bergkamp's awesome '98 World Cup goal (the commentator deserves special mention too!) and that has stuck in my mind for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  I watch very little soccer, but I did catch Dennis Bergkamp's awesome '98 World Cup goal
                  Bergkamp had an unreal touch. I saw him take a pass over his left shoulder onto his chest for a volley into the net. The ball never touched the ground.

As far as baseball infielders go, I've never seen anyone else like Brooks Robinson. This clip is just representative of his usual level of amazing skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XHZbhR9qc

Comment

Another great soccer one is this goal by Paolo Di Canio in the Premier League about 20 years ago. What amazes me when seeing the replay is how he swings his right leg to shoot with power and precision when his left foot is off the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHV37aMytvk

Comment

[QUOTE=Atticus;2735259]

As far as baseball infielders go, I've never seen anyone else like Brooks Robinson. This clip is just representative of his usual level of amazing skill.

Brooks was on fire in that world series. Nothing got by him and even his bat was on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by schigh View Post

Brooks was on fire in that world series. Nothing got by him and even his bat was on fire.
                        The setting was certainly very high end and maybe only Graig Nettles in '78(??) is in the same ballpark in terms of settings but we now regularly see the position played at least as well by guys such as Rendon, Arenado, Chapman and Machado (when he's playing 3rd base).

Comment

Not sure why, given that the Orioles were total crap at the time, but I somehow became a huge Brooks Robinson fan in about '58 or '59. He was on my personal All-Star team at the time (now if only I could remember the other members :-)

Comment

I'm not a baseball fan but remember this one from Derek Jeter. How he read that play and came all the way over from shortstop to make it is amazing.

https://youtu.be/ApoJk9X7Vto

Comment

The announcer as usual is completely over the top....it's a nice play but hardly unbelievable...he just tosses to the catcher...who just a few feet away.....quick thinking and getting there but that's about it....

Btw it looks like Giambi was actually safe.... these days I think that would have been overturned...
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-24-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                The announcer as usual is completely over the top....it's a nice play but hardly unbelievable...he just tosses to the catcher...who just a few feet away.....quick thinking and getting there but that's about it....

Btw it looks like Giambi was actually safe.... these days I think that would have been overturned...
                                It's not like that happens all the time, or ever before. It's an amazing play to readitcorrectly he had to move before the throw. Agreed the flip is just a flip to the catcher, but it's like he knew it was going to happen before it even got started.

Sorry you can't see that. Btw, he wasn't safe and wouldn't be today.

Comment

Working...
                                X