Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve View Post
    I'm not a baseball fan but remember this one from Derek Jeter. How he read that play and came all the way over from shortstop to make it is amazing.

https://youtu.be/ApoJk9X7Vto
    That play may have required and certain degree of prescience but it was pretty ordinary in terms of skill and athleticism.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      That play may have required and certain degree of prescience but it was pretty ordinary in terms of skill and athleticism.
      It's no 8 foot high jump or olympic floor exercise, but none of those athletes could have read that play and then executed it with that precision in that time frame. I guess I have a different definition of athletic feats/skill/athleticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        The announcer as usual is completely over the top....it's a nice play but hardly unbelievable...he just tosses to the catcher...who just a few feet away.....quick thinking and getting there but that's about it...
        Yikes, tough audience! To come from shortstop, field it on the first base path, and then backhand a perfect throw to the catcher? Yeah, that's super-impressive.

Comment

Impresses me.

Comment

The sky-high bounce pass from Stephen Curry to Giannis Antetokounmpo for a dunk in the NBA All-Star game this February will be remembered by NBA fans forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2hXbLvUWFg

Comment

If they didn't practice that I would be amazed....

Reminds me more of trick shots in billiards than a real play....

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                If they didn't practice that I would be amazed....
                They didn't. Two players from rival teams 2000 miles apart aren't going to have the time or inclination to get together to practice a play that they're unlikely to find the opportunity to use during the one game of the year when they're playing on the same team. In a post-game interview Giannis said he wasn't even sure the pass was intended for him.

Comment

then there's this collection of other-worldly shots from Federer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKohNh-1E8

Comment

Speaking of Giannis Antetokounmpo and great athletic feats, it's considered a great athletic feat if you can pronounce his entire last name without pausing to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                      It's no 8 foot high jump or olympic floor exercise, but none of those athletes could have read that play and then executed it with that precision in that time frame. I guess I have a different definition of athletic feats/skill/athleticism.
                      Of course a track athlete couldn't do it but the baseball players that could do it are a dime a dozen, while even Messi couldn't have made the play that Ronaldo did.

Comment

Of course a track athlete couldn't do it but the baseball players that could do it are a dime a dozen, while even Messi couldn't have made the play that Ronaldo did.
                        No doubt that Ronaldo play is a great one.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about Renaldo Nehemiah.

Comment

I don't think Messi is an exceptional "athlete" for a world class soccer player. But he has better ball skills than Ronaldo.

And I thought this thread was about the former.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              I don't think Messi is an exceptional "athlete" for a world class soccer player. But he has better ball skills than Ronaldo.

And I thought this thread was about the former.
                              According to the OP, this thread is about athletic feats that require both extraordinary skill and athleticism.
                              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 12-25-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I don't know why this has stuck with me for so long, but I always thought George Brett (pine tar!) had super-human reaction speed. The beginning of this video shows one incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqOPycN2RQ

Comment

Working...
                                X