Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salazar suspended by SafeSport

Salazar earns the honor of being the first person suspended by USADA and the US Center for SafeSport at the same time!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rt/4627732002/

I'm no fan of Salazar, but this seems like a real stretch of SafeSport's purview
    guru
    Last edited by guru; 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

I'm not surprised...Salazar is a Shakespearean Tragedy....
      Conor Dary
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-01-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
        I'm no fan of Salazar, but this seems like a real stretch of SafeSport's purview
        Maybe you should review the SafeSport Code...

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-...yperlinked.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
          Maybe you should review the SafeSport Code...

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-...yperlinked.pdf

So by the SafeSport "Code", every basketball and football coach in the country should be suspended.

Here's a recent example. Geno Auriemma - who doesnt shy away from criticizing his players publicly, both individually and as a group, - called his women "immature" and, notably, "dummies" in the post-game presser following a loss to Baylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCfY3J3aD8

I'm sure you would agree PVP that Auriemma must immediately be suspended from coaching, and by SafeSport code has no place coaching.

Comment

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea now that you bring it up.

Comment

Impossible to imagine the Oregon women's coach acting like that

Comment

More Auriemma. His treatment of Diana Taurasi is at least as bad as what Cain alleges Salazar did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uARC_sjpy4

Where's the outrage from SafeSport?

Comment

So by the SafeSport "Code", every basketball and football coach in the country should be suspended.

Here's a recent example. Geno Auriemma - who doesnt shy away from criticizing his players publicly, both individually and as a group, - called his women "immature" and, notably, "dummies" in the post-game presser following a loss to Baylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCfY3J3aD8

I'm sure you would agree PVP that Auriemma must immediately be suspended from coaching, and by SafeSport code has no place coaching.
                  The code only covers "covered individuals"

Auriemma may well be, when I googled him, he mentioned being a Team USA coach, but obviously very few of the football and basketball coaches in the country are a member of an NGB.

Comment

Where's the outrage from SafeSport?
                    It starts with someone filing a report. That someone can be a third party.

The Center for SafeSport is not monitoring the news. If you think he is abusing his players, file a report anonymously at http://uscenterforsafesport.org

If you don't want to, that's fine. But don't bitch about the Center not doing anything if you aren't willing to report it.

Of course it is possible that it has been reported and that nothing public was done, or that an investigation is ongoing. Either way, there is no way to know if it was reported unless you do it yourself, or someone else comes forward and says they did.

Comment

SafeSport wouldn't touch Auriemma with a 10 foot pole, despite his own admissions. Too much money and power. Salazar was a soft target.

Comment

That may be...but to say Salazar was a soft target is stretching things...his behavior is what SafeSport is suppose to protect from...

Comment

Re: Auriemma interview video.
                          The smirky attitude both coach and host display is pretty damn annoying.
                          Maybe not advocating abusive behavior but not far from it.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                            The code only covers "covered individuals"

Auriemma may well be, when I googled him, he mentioned being a Team USA coach, but obviously very few of the football and basketball coaches in the country are a member of an NGB.
                            Auriemma was TeamUSA women's hoops coach at 2012 and 2016 Olympics. He was covered by this, if it existed then

Comment

I think guru makes a very valid point about the reality of any tribunal such as this. Is it going to be fair and balanced, or will it focus on relatively easy cases to self perpetuate and pad CVs?

I had a quick look at the document linked by PVP and it seems a curious mix of overly broad and very narrow definitions combined with substantial discretion. I think guru is right to be worried.

On the overly broad side is the policy that "any criminal charge or disposition is relevant". Really?

They also go as far as to say that this includes "Juvenile delinquency adjudication". I believe many jurisdictions in the USA allow juvenile records to be sealed but I'm not sure if it's an offence to bypass sealing. Plenty of scope here for overrepresentation of minorities.

There are interesting exceptions to various offences. As one example, the offence of bullying has this as part of its exceptions:

Bullying does not include professionally accepted coaching methods of skill enhancement, physical conditioning, team building, appropriate discipline, or improved Athlete performance.
                              Accepted by whom in which sport in which location?

Generally a weird and unsatisfactory document.

Comment

Working...
                              X