Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some may recall General Dwight Eisenhower had a storied military career and was US President after WWII. I dunno, I thought the "Ike" jacket was a gimme before they even finished the question. We were still wearing them when I left active duty in 1955 and, I think, the USAR in 1973.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post

"famous WWII-era person" is the dead give-away.
      This clue as stated above could be kind of tricky, since it does not say specifically that the person was known for WWII, but only that he was famous during that era.[The Final Jeopardy category was "Famous Americans," which would have eliminated Nehru].

However, the actual clue wording was more precise than that, and should have made it more obvious.

From J!Archive:
      He was buried in 1969 in one of the World War II uniform jackets named for him
      https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7258

Comment

• I just always surprises me that anyone smart enough to be on Jeopardy doesn't know everything I know.

Comment

• I got the answer based on the mention of being buried in 1969 and WW-II.

Never heard of the jacket.

Comment

• The reference to 1969 gave it away to me. I recall Ike dying with Nixon at the funeral during the latter’s first year as President.

Comment

• Age can definitely play a factor in who knows what amongst the competitors. From yesterday's show in the category Stage Managers two clues featured pictures of the answers. See the $400 and $1000 questions. First thing we see on TV is a picture of an older but very identifiable Paul Newman and in the other case a picture of a woman who is obviously Shirley MacLaine. My wife and I yelled the answers immediately without the clue. These were both how can you not know these answers to my wife and I.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7259

The competitors? Emma the champ answered very unsurely after a delay of "Paul Newman?" The $1,000 question got 3 blank stares.

Comment

• Jackie Kelly, the winner on Friday and today(March 28), was the 2001 Pennsylvania State indoor champion in the mile (5:07.65). Injured in 2002, her sister Amy kept the title in the family(5:04.26). She talked about being a runner on tonight's show, so I asked DJ if he knew about her and he came up with the above stats.

Comment

• Matea Roach is 23 and done, losing by $1.00. Curiously, not knowing the answer, had she bet nothing, she could not have lost. Had she bet $2.00 less she would have won. Makes one wonder, did she simply miscalculate the maximum safe bet.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Matea Roach is 23 and done, losing by $1.00. Curiously, not knowing the answer, had she bet nothing, she could not have lost. Had she bet $2.00 less she would have won. Makes one wonder, did she simply miscalculate the maximum safe bet.
                    No, she had to cover the max bet by her opponent, plus $1. It was the best play to ensure a win if the opponent got it right, which, of course, she (opponent) did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      No, she had to cover the max bet by her opponent, plus $1. It was the best play to ensure a win if the opponent got it right, which, of course, she (opponent) did.
                      I have forgotten the actual dollar amounts but my recollection is Mattea had enough cushion she could have stood pat. When all bets and answers are in and you lose by $1, you bet $2 too much. But then, I am not on Jeopardy

Comment

I have forgotten the actual dollar amounts but my recollection is Mattea had enough cushion she could have stood pat. When all bets and answers are in and you lose by $1, you bet $2 too much. But then, I am not on Jeopardy
                        The interesting thing is that she had bet $0, I think, the game before in FJ.

Comment

my recollection is Mattea had enough cushion she could have stood pat. When all bets and answers are in and you lose by $1, you bet $2 too much.
                          She had to bet that exact amount to win by $1.

Comment

• https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...er/9675305002/

At the conclusion of Double Jeopardy, Roach had racked up $19,200; Maurer, $11,400 and a third contestant, Betsy Hobbs, had $7,400.

Maurer bet $4,200, so the correct answer boosted her total to $15,600.

Turning to the reigning champ, Jennings asked Roach: "Did she know it was Hartsfield (and) Jackson?"

"Oh, absolutely not," she said, guessing. "Who are Churchill and Downs? idk" Roach wagered $3,601, which knocked her down to $15,599.
                            Roach could have won by betting less, but that is only in hindsight. She didn't have enough of a lead to guarantee victory by betting a smaller amount.

With that $3601, Roach bet just enough to secure herself a win in the event that both she and Maurer got it right. She'd end up with $19200 + $3601 = $22801, vs. Maurer's best case outcome of $22,800.

Maurer anticipated that, and figured Roach might bet $3601, and therefore bet just enough to win if Roach got it wrong with a $3601 bet.

What would have been awesome is if Roach anticipated Maurer's anticipation, and bet $3599 instead.
                            Last edited by 18.99s; 05-07-2022, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...er/9675305002/

Roach could have won by betting less, but that is only in hindsight. She didn't have enough of a lead to guarantee victory by betting a smaller amount.

With that $3601, Roach bet just enough to secure herself a win in the event that both she and Maurer got it right. She'd end up with $19200 + $3601 = $22801, vs. Maurer's best case outcome of $22,800.

Maurer anticipated that, and figured Roach might bet $3601, and therefore bet just enough to win if Roach got it wrong with a $3601 bet.

What would have been awesome is if Roach anticipated Maurer's anticipation, and bet $3599 instead.
                              Win some. Lose some.

Comment

Working...
                              X