Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    That's the least impressive thing to me. All successful professional gamblers can do that level of mental math.
    Almost all Jeopary constestants do the same thing. What makes him unusual is that most contestants who have clinched the game risk little or nothing in FJ. He is not at all reluctant to make a big bet (but of course one that does not risk losing the game if he gets it wrong).

Comment

Here's an article putting Holzauer in the same league as (among others) Usain Bolt:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c0e918943c86

Comment

Between the beloved host's stage 4 pancreatic cancer and the champion's overwhelming dominance, this show has become Must-See-TV.

Comment

The show has been must-see tv for me for years. When we're not home, we tape it and watch it later.

Comment

Jeopardy is great exercise for the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
              The show has been must-see tv for me for years. When we're not home, we tape it and watch it later.
              Same here (well, dvr, not tape), and we usually have three or four weeks of recent episodes in our queue to watch. When James took off and started getting general publicity we skipped over a couple of weeks of episodes to catch up on so that I could actually read the news stories (or message board posts - this thread is the first I heard of the guy) without the obvious spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                Same here (well, dvr, not tape.
                We DVR it as well. I was using "tape" in a generic sense.

Comment

just like "tape" will exist forever in finishline parlance

Comment

OOOOO - it came down to the wire (tape?) today. James had a slim lead and the other guy bet it all in FJ and got it right. James won by $100!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      OOOOO - it came down to the wire (tape?) today. James had a slim lead and the other guy bet it all in FJ and got it right. James won by $100!!!
                      It was actually a margin of just $18, and the second place guy (who is the Sports Information Director at Brandeis) had the highest losing total ever.

D5XZrQPX4AISfhA.jpg

Comment

I've been thinking that when this guy's reign ends, they ought to invite back everyone who was a runner-up to him to play again, since they never really had a fair chance up against this machine. If they did that, the one he beat last night could end up being a multiple-game champion. He knew an awful lot of shit about a wide range of subjects. Very impressive.

Comment

Washington Post story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2aea7e590366

Headline: James Holzhauer is a menace to ‘Jeopardy!’

Comment

Here's an article putting Holzauer in the same league as (among others) Usain Bolt:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c0e918943c86
                            It is a reasonable comparison to make, especially with Track & Field, looking at domination of the all-time list of single day performances.

Holzhauer has 8 of the top 10. The only T&F athletes to achieve that are Anita Włodarczyk (10 of 10, in an event with just a short history) and Sergey Bubka (9 of 10). Bolt only has 5 of 10 in the 200 and 4 of 10 in the 100.

Comment

Washington Post story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2aea7e590366

Headline: James Holzhauer is a menace to ‘Jeopardy!’
                              From the above article:

In short, this professional gambler from Las Vegas does not so much play the game as beat the system. What’s entertaining about that? And beyond a certain point, what’s admirable?
                              Sums it up for me. The guy is robotic, devoid of personality and makes the game a farce.

Comment

I agree... interesting article....I think baseball is incredibly dull these days....

What's a professional gambler anyways....poker player?, sports betting? what does he really do....you can't be a professional blackjack player for long....they find out you are counting cards and they kick you out....roulette? Don't be ridiculous...

Comment

Working...
                                X