Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Sums it up for me. The guy is robotic, devoid of personality and makes the game a farce.
    Wow - I find just the opposite! I am mesmerized by his reign of terror! I love everything about HIM and the way he plays the game. I look forward to 7:45 every evening, so I can fire up the DVR and watch the mayhem without ad interruption!

Comment

I'm with Atticus on this.. I often root for the underdog but when you have a perfect storm of intellect and technique, I say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
        I'm with Atticus on this.. I often root for the underdog but when you have a perfect storm of intellect and technique, I say go for it.
        Indeed. When Bolt or any number of superstars in sports were in their prime, we were rooting for them to decimate the field.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          Sums it up for me. The guy is robotic, devoid of personality and makes the game a farce.
          I got up at one a.m. Sunday to watch Eliud Kipchoge win the London Marathon. If someone wanted to trash excellence, they might have said the same thing about him.

The point is not so much to compare the two, but I am fascinated by the ability of an observer to find discipline, concentration, and the resultant superior performances as character flaws.
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            What's a professional gambler anyways....poker player?, sports betting? what does he really do....you can't be a professional blackjack player for long....they find out you are counting cards and they kick you out....roulette? Don't be ridiculous...
            Anyone who has been watching the show knows that he has been introduced every day as a Professional Sports Gambler, and that during one of his interviews he stated that he has a preference for the NFL, since that is where the odds are better. He does not play any table games.
            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

No doubt about the fact that he answers the questions. Robotic or not the dude knows a lot of stuff and can regurgitate it at speed under pressure. That, plus button masery, covers all on Jeopardy.

His real innovation to the show is fearless major wagering.

Comment

I've watched only two of Holzhauer's shows, and watched a little of Ken Jennings (on vacation visiting my parents, who watch it nightly...way back in 2004! My gosh!) So could Jennings hold his own against Holzhauer, or would he have to totally change his betting strategy?

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
                  Anyone who has been watching the show knows that he has been introduced every day as a Professional Sports Gambler, and that during one of his interviews he stated that he has a preference for the NFL, since that is where the odds are better. He does not play any table games.
                  Thanks....I thought it was that ...

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                    could Jennings hold his own against Holzhauer, or would he have to totally change his betting strategy?
                    That's what I want KJ and Brad Rutter (who has beaten KJ more than once) to face off against JH. It would be epic.

JH has changed the game; taken to its logical conclusion: go for big $$ early, so you can bet aggressively on the first DD; go for the middle slots in DJ to find the 2 DDs and then bet large, but not too high. Oh yeah, hit the buzzer at just the right moment and know the answers, so you not only get $$, but you control the board. Easy-peasy!

Comment

buzzer timing is critical... but you also have to have a ready answer.. I was surprised a couple of days ago when none of the contestants knew the answer to a question that I knew immediately... of course I have now forgotten what the question was.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                        buzzer timing is critical... but you also have to have a ready answer.. I was surprised a couple of days ago when none of the contestants knew the answer to a question that I knew immediately... of course I have now forgotten what the question was.
                        Ha! Same here; he got something wrong that I knew and actually yelled to my wife what a genius she married . . . then he rattled off a bunch of responses that I had no clue on.

Comment

The sheer breadth of his knowledge continues to amaze me. He'd be a winner even if had average buzzer skills and even if he did not bet so aggressively.

Comment

The Onion explains the key to this guy's success.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/u...thr-1834422288

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              The Onion explains the key to this guy's success.
                              https://entertainment.theonion.com/u...thr-1834422288
                              That was actually disappointing - more what like an 8th grader would write. I expect more wit and nuance from The Onion.

Comment

Yep. Not funny at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X