Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't Johnny Carson just retire?

We can't be talking about replacing his replacement already can we?

Re: Didn't Johnny Carson just retire?

Conan O'Brien gets the promotion in 2009. Hard to believe, but that will be 17 years already for Jay.

Jeez, I'm gettin' old!
    There are no strings on me

Comment

I thought Steve Allen was still the host!

Comment

>I thought Steve Allen was still the host!

Hey, shouldn't you be in class?
        :-P

Comment

NO SCHOOL!! Power's still out there. What a shame. Plus the in-laws leave today - FEMA is setting everyone up with a place to stay.

Comment

Over breakfast this morning, Mrs. tandfman and I were trying to figure out the chances that this succession will actually happen in 2009. We figure it's no better than 60% and it may be less, given the uncertainties relating not only to both of these guys but also to the suits who make all the decisions about who sits in that chair. They tend to rotate much more frequently than show hosts and they are much less predictable.

Yes, law dude, I know. O'Brien probably has a contract. But so do all of the fired football coaches and baseball managers. All that means is that if the network changes its mind, somebody will have to pay something. No big deal--happens all the time in corporate America. People get bought out.

Bottom line--I hope we're all around in 2009 to see whether or not it actually happens.

Comment

Maybe TV won't even exist.

Comment

>Maybe TV won't even exist.<

Interesting thought. Since we seem to be highjacking and morphing threads all over the place these days, and since this one never had anything to do with track to begin with, let me pose this question: What would happen if TV did not exist? How would you spend the time you now spend watching TV? How would most people?

Comment

>>Maybe TV won't even exist.<

Interesting thought. Since we seem to be
                  >highjacking and morphing threads all over the place these days, and since this
                  >one never had anything to do with track to begin with, let me pose this
                  >question: What would happen if TV did not exist? How would you spend the time
                  >you now spend watching TV? How would most people?

Ask tafnut. I'm sure he could give some informed insight right about now.

Tafnut, P.O.V.??

Comment

I spent the entire summer NOT watching TV, but now I'm readdicted to about 7 shows. If there were no TV, I could live. If there were no internet I would cease to exist. Ever since I could remember I have had an insatiable curiosity about everything and anything. At age 11 I had my parents buy me (like my sister cared!) the Colliers Encyclopedia, Webster's unabridged (the big'n) dictionary, the World Alamanac and the Guinness Book of Records. The advent of the www has been my dreams answered. Not just track, EVERYTHING! Maybe that's why I had to become a teacher after the USN. Knowledge Central!

So take my TV, but you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off my mouse!

edit - with my day off today, I'll be cozied up here, doing the curriculum mapping that's due by Christmas (gonna take 20 hours at least - so no time to procratinate, as I am wont to do). And surfing.

[notice how easily I am baited - that my built-in need to procrastinate)

Comment

On further reflection, 5 years from now might be a tad premature to say there will be no more TV but it will eventually just morph into a TV/computer (portable like an iPod) and the time won't get replaced.

Comment

I really wasn't thinking about that, but you're right. It's only a matter of time before the essential nature of certain media, including TV, changes significantly and ends up being very different from anything we have today. The process has already begun.

Comment

Case in point-Howard Stern's 500 million 5 year deal with Sirius.

Comment

$500 million for Howard Stern? They can't be sirius.

Comment

> Case in point-Howard Stern's 500 million 5 year deal with Sirius.

Not exactly $500m for Stern himself. The quote from an NBC report: "Specific terms of the deal weren’t disclosed, but Sirius pegs total production and operating costs for the Stern show --including salaries for the cast and staff, overhead, construction costs for a dedicated studio and a budget for the development of additional programming and marketing concepts --at about $100 million per year."

Still, sirius dough being tossed around.

Comment

Working...
                              X