Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod Lite-The Dylan years

Hope some of you got to see the Dylan interview.
    I grew up in NYC and the Saloon Biz so I had a chance to view The Village from behind the bar during the 'Early Years" . I never liked his voice so he was a blip on my screen then if at all. Now 40 years later he is ranked with the great ones of music. He has been covered by a group of artists that are not to shabby themselves.......Hendrix,Stewart,The Byrds,Wonder,The Band,Manfred Mann(The Mighty Quinn,anyone hear Dylan do it?)Presley Bryan Ferry....Oh yea The Turtles (It Ain't Me Babe). So turn your Transister Radio on and Down Load your Dylan Picks. Please Mr. Boardman let us play for a day or so!
    Edit for Props: on 24 Feb 2004 MJD started this thread!!!!PBS tonight
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Re: iPod Lite-The Dylan years

When you say Dylan I'm so unhip I think you mean Dylan Thomas, whoever he was.

Comment

>Hope some of you got to see the Dylan interview.
      Yeah, I caught most of it. He looked pretty wizened and struck me as somewhat cynical and bitter in the interview. I'm not sure that time has been kind to him but he's lucky to be alive after that heart thing a while back.

I still like his early work the best, up through the early 70's. Back in high school in the 60's, we used to go around quoting Dylan like scripture. It would have been great to have seen him during his Highway 61 period. The first time that I saw him perform was around 1974 when he was touring with The Band.

Rolling Stone magazine recently proclaimed "Like A Rolling Stone" to be the #1 song of all time in their list of top 500 songs. A great song, but I wouldn't put it quite that high. Then again, the man is arguably the greatest American songwriter or at least right up there with Hank Williams and Brian Wilson (who isn't really a lyricist).

Comment

Gee I was hoping to hear about Canadian thrower Dylan Armstrong...or has the Canadian Olympic Committee already eliminated him from future competition?

it ain't me babe
        no no no
        it ain't me not reaching the "A"

Comment

>When you say Dylan I'm so unhip I think you mean Dylan Thomas, whoever he was.

This has Llareggub to do with track and field.

Dylan Thomas is unhip? You can still get drunk in the White Horse in Manhatten, the place of his demise. And they boast of that fact.

Comment

Dylan Thomas is
            >unhip? You can still get drunk in the White Horse in Manhatten, the place of
            >his demise. And they boast of that fact.

Daisy,Trust me it was the food at the Tavern not the brown whiskey:-)
            Tom Hyland:

Comment

Clearly nobody is hip to "A Simple Desultory Philippic" by Simon & Garfunkel:

<< been Norman Mailered, Maxwell Taylored.
              I been John O'Hara'd, McNamara'd.
              I been Rolling Stoned and Beatled till I'm blind.
              I been Ayn Randed, nearly branded
              Communist, 'cause I'm left-handed.
              That's the hand I use, well, never mind!

I been Phil Spectored, resurrected.
              I been Lou Adlered, Barry Sadlered.
              Well, I paid all the dues I want to pay.
              And I learned the truth from Lenny Bruce,
              And all my wealth won't buy me health,
              So I smoke a pint of tea a day.

I knew a man, his brain was so small,
              He couldn't think of nothing at all.
              He's not the same as you and me.
              He doesn't dig poetry. He's so unhip that
              When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas,
              Whoever he was.
              The man ain't got no culture,
              But it's alright, ma,
              Everybody must get stoned.

I been Mick Jaggered, silver daggered.
              Andy Warhol, won't you please come home?
              I been mothered, fathered, aunt and uncled,
              Been Roy Haleed and Art Garfunkeled.
              I just discovered somebody's tapped my phone>>

Comment

>Clearly nobody is hip to "A Simple Desultory Philippic" by Simon &
                >Garfunkle
                I been Barry Sadlered.
                He's so unhip that
                When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking
                >about Dylan Thomas,
                Whoever he was.
                The turtle man ain't got no culture,
                But it's
                >alright, ma,
                Everybody must get stoned.
                Thyme out,its the tea, never saw the words, hell don't know the song.
                Tom Hyland:

Comment

>When you say Dylan I'm so unhip I think you mean Dylan Thomas, whoever he was.

When I think of Dylan, I think of the trying-to-hard-to-be-hip-eurotrash NYC hotel that dinged me for $450 the night of the 2003 blackout -- more than double the rate for its regular corporate customers.

Needless to say, they lost the account.

Comment

>Clearly nobody is hip to "A Simple Desultory Philippic" by Simon & Garfunkel:

Clearly

I need to pay more attention to the lyrics.

Comment

OK, finally saw the interview. The man is one definite bizarre personality. The Beautous Babs is convinced it was a little too much rainy day women, but whatever...

Comment

I didn't see Dylan live until waaaaay late. Shoreline in the '90s. I had heard of him in the mid '60s when I was in the Army in Germany. Radio Luxembourg didn't play him, all Stones and the other early Brit bands. When I got back to the US, I got his albums and became a convert. I had tickets for a show in Spokane, but the equipment bus/truck broke down and the show was cancelled. Took the edge of the date.

I think "Blonde on Blonde" was his apex. He had some good songs after that, but mostly not great albums. His "Christ" period mostly sucked. His last couple of albums have been good. And there are the bootlegs, official and unofficial. Good stuff there.

Comment

Speakiing of Shoreline (sorry for the gratouitous Bay Area reference), only time I ever saw Dylan live was there in August of '86, just before heading to Stuttgart for the Euros.

He sucked huge time! But the then-obscure (relatively speaking) opening act of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers gave me a whole new line of fandom. Just like a refugee, eh?

Comment

edit
                            Tom Hyland:

Comment

>Speakiing of Shoreline (sorry for the gratouitous Bay Area reference), only
                              >time I ever saw Dylan live was there in August of '86, just before heading to
                              >Stuttgart for the Euros.

He sucked huge time! But the then-obscure
                              >(relatively speaking) opening act of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers gave me a
                              >whole new line of fandom. Just like a refugee, eh?

He was far from obscure in 1986 if you were paying attention:-). As a matter of fact, you could argue he was almost old news by then.

Comment

Working...
                              X