Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

message to Garry Hill re old TFNewsletters

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • message to Garry Hill re old TFNewsletters

    Garry, re the recent post whereby Tafnut said he had old copies of TFNewsletter from the 1970s that he would copy off for people; can i just run this by you first and ask if he would be breaching any copyright by doing this.
    If he is not then i would be very interested in them.

  • #2
    Most definitely a copyright violation. And it wouldn't make us happy.

    Having given the official company position let me now address this in a more realistic way. If somebody started offering to mass-produce something like this, yes we'd go after them. But let he who is without sin.... I've certainly never felt guilty about a one-time asking of a friend to make me a xerox of something, nor should anyone else. Just don't turn it into a blatant commercial enterprise.

    Be discreet. Make a post that says, "can anybody send me a photocopy of TN x of year y? Please respond offline."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gh
      Be discreet. Make a post that says, "can anybody send me a photocopy of TN x of year y? Please respond offline."
      I actually thought about doing that, but I wanted to be above-board in this.

      George - PM me your needs, and I will certainly try to help you.

      Comment


      • #4
        A realistic and balanced response, gh. But a question: does the mag intend to digitise all the historical material at any stage? The ease of doing this, including OCR, has really improved and costs have dropped and off the shelf archiving and search software is readily available.

        Imagine a completely searchable subscription database of all TFN text ever.......and easy supply of any copy any time......maybe Google will do it for you for free :wink:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by El Toro
          A realistic and balanced response, gh. But a question: does the mag intend to digitise all the historical material at any stage? The ease of doing this, including OCR, has really improved and costs have dropped and off the shelf archiving and search software is readily available.

          Imagine a completely searchable subscription database of all TFN text ever.......and easy supply of any copy any time......maybe Google will do it for you for free :wink:
          That would be really cool.

          Comment


          • #6
            But then who would want to buy my old ones going back 10 or 15 years?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Helen S
              But then who would want to buy my old ones going back 10 or 15 years?
              By all means please PM him, Helen! Save us all a bother.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Helen S
                But then who would want to buy my old ones going back 10 or 15 years?
                Collectors will always prefer the originals, which is why first editions are always more valuable and in demand than the 10th reprint in paperback. Also any on-demand printing wouldn't be on the same paper as a normal edition(with current technology),so even if it filled a gap in your collection it would be a constant reminder that it needed replacing with the real deal.

                This type of arrangement frequently leads novices to buy an edition for a single article....which leads to another.....and another....and the next thing you know, you have a completist desparately posting a "wanted to buy" right here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by El Toro
                  A realistic and balanced response, gh. But a question: does the mag intend to digitise all the historical material at any stage? The ease of doing this, including OCR, has really improved and costs have dropped and off the shelf archiving and search software is readily available.

                  Imagine a completely searchable subscription database of all TFN text ever.......and easy supply of any copy any time......maybe Google will do it for you for free :wink:
                  Unlikely ever to happen. Ignoring the money side of it, imagine the paperwork (no pun intended) sorting out the rights to all the artwork (which we buy from freelancers on a per-usage basis) and stories bylined by freelancers (we have reprint rights in the mag, but the courts have said that if they want to be paid again for electronic usage, they're within their rights).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    OK, so your reprint rights means it would still be OK to digitise to produce facsimilies but this wouldn't be much of a business case without the real value that would be in a searchable version. Damn! I just assumed you commissioned the content and owned everything.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Magazine is on microfilm, so why not TN? I think I might have told this story, but one night when I had the all-night duty, I brought a ream of paper into the USNA Library and spent about 4 hours printing out entire 60s issues. It was actually a lot of fun watching history unfold as they printed out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Digitized TN

                        Originally posted by gh
                        Unlikely ever to happen. Ignoring the money side of it, imagine the paperwork (no pun intended) sorting out the rights to all the artwork (which we buy from freelancers on a per-usage basis) and stories bylined by freelancers (we have reprint rights in the mag, but the courts have said that if they want to be paid again for electronic usage, they're within their rights).
                        Forget digitizing the Magazine.
                        From the perspective of a database, there would certainly be significant value to just digitizing Track Newsletter, which for many years has had little or no artwork or freelance stories. Similar to Mirko Jalava's site, but I think he only goes back to 2002 for such data. Would be awesome.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X