Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse Owens Autographed Program

I have a Jesse Owens Track Classic Program (San Francisco) signed by Jessie Owens.
    Carl and Carol Lewis (Philadelphia) and Florence Griffith (Los Angeles) participated at the meet and are listed in the program.

What year was that meet? Did you attend this meet? I'm curious where in San Francisco this meet would have been held.

Comment

I would guess it was at Kezar Stadium. They held the meet there in 1975 as a youth meet, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        I would guess it was at Kezar Stadium. They held the meet there in 1975 as a youth meet, I believe.
        A google search also came up with Kezar Stadium references to Jesse Owens Classic in 1973, 1974 and 1976.
        Last edited by wamego relays champ; 09-17-2020, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I am only seeing these messages now. I think it was probably 1974. I'll have to look again at the program.
          It was definitely held at Kezar Stadium.
          I attended the meet as a young teenager, and Jessie Owens was in the stands and signed my program.

Comment

Kind of interesting that Jessie Owens and Carl Lewis were at the same meet.
            Both won gold medals in the 100m, 200m, LJ, and 4 x 100m relay at the Olympics, 1936 and 1984 respectively.

I wonder if they met at the meet? If they did, would it have been the only time they met? Jessie Owens died in 1980.

Perhaps they met at the medal ceremony if there was one, and assuming Carl Lewis won his event, which he probably did.
            Last edited by Jacksf; 09-17-2020, 05:37 AM.

Comment

This video talks about Carl Lewis meeting Jesse Owens at a meet in Philadelphia around 1972 or 1973. Carl would have been about 12 years old. You can hear the story starting around 2:30 in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssYZswq_zg

I imagine they must have met later in Carl's career. Maybe when Carl was about 18, but I'm not sure.

Comment

That means I shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Jesse Owens !!!.. yeah, Im somebody!!

Comment

One of the big thrills of my life was in January 1979 when I had lunch with Jesse Owens at the Camelback Country Club in Scottsdale, Arizona. Set up by my college roommate who was an assistant pro at the course that winter. Owens used to spend the winter near Phoenix and played that course all the time.

Comment

Owens spoke at my high school athletic banquet in 1975. I was in 8th grade but attended anyway. My neighbor interviewed him for the school paper. She had Owens autograph a program for my brother who ran track. He wrote a very long message, and my brother still has it.

Comment

Working...
                    X