Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectors

I obviously have an issue. I start collecting things and then I have to 'complete the set'.

I have all the T&FNs, 48-p (but 48-55 are reprints, so I have to fix that).
    All the ATFS Annuals, 51-p
    All the TrackNewsletters, 54-p (but 54-65 are reprints, so I have to fix that).
    All the "High School Track" Annuals, 56-p
    All the US (FAST) Annuals, 79-p

Today in the mail, I got the latest Red Book (A Guidebook of United States Coins), which is the 76th Edition. I started at 9yo with the 1960 edition and bought the earlier ones (1st in 1947) in my 20s.

So what do you obsessively collect?
    Last edited by Atticus; 04-11-2022, 09:54 PM.

I inherited my late mother-in-law's National Geographic collection, a 1918 lifetime subscription wedding present from her Spanish-American Warr veteran husband and have maintained my own subscription since 1957. I think I previously mentioned I am missing Oct 1928, some appropriated by one of their sons. Inertia keeps me from looking for it.
    I have a 20 plus year collection of Readers Digest Condensed Books started in my 1950's well-sitting days when I had time to read..
    I have a complete (I think) collection of the works of a few authors. Michener, Ludlum, LeCArrre, Wallace, O'Hara. Clancy.,
    Then there is those 4000 plus personally photographed courthouse pictures.

The BIG question: WTH am I going t do with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I obviously have an issue. I start collecting things and then I have to 'complete the set'.

I have all the T&FNs, 48-p (but 48-55 are reprints, so I have to fix that).
      All the ATFS Annuals, 51-p
      All the TrackNewsletters, 54-p (but 54-65 are reprints, so I have to fix that).
      All the "High School Track" Annuals, 56-p
      All the US (FAST) Annuals, 79-p

Today in the mail, I got the latest Red Book (A Guidebook of United States Coins), which is the 76th Edition. I started at 9yo with the 1960 edition and bought the earlier ones (1st in 1947) in my 20s.

So what do you obsessively collect?
      Atticus​​​​​​​ lonewolf I used to do that with SI and Nat Geo but had to stop. Like you said Lonewolf, what am I going to do with all of them?

I have that personality type...and realized...and had to reign-in.

CDs - I'm a huge heavy metal fan and have 600+. I know people with 20 or 30 X that much. I don't know how they listen to them all. What I want is a heavily vetted collection that I can get through in a year with relative ease, and preferably 2-3 times a year.

Baseball and Football Cards - I loved, loved, loved the TOPPS football complete set and got it for Christmas ever year from 1984 forward. I went back recently and completed all sets from 1981-83. I stopped on the late 90's, I think?

Model Railroad Locomotives. About 2 years ago I had to put a screeching halt to this as these get very expensive.

Heavy Metal T-shirts - I only get them now at the concert, and only if the tour date is on them. Again, where to put them?

Throwback Jerseys - I have a couple dozen between football and baseball, which is a small collection. Again, it's a matter of closet space and $$$.
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I think we coincided on this a few years ago... I have all the original Tom Swift books. I had ALL the TFN's, but I sold them to another TrackNut about 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
          I had ALL the TFN's, but I sold them to another TrackNut about 2 years ago.
          The wife and I have discussed what will happen to all our cherished collectables (like above and the 100+ salt and pepper shakers from all the places we've been world-wide) and the answer is always the same . . . dumpster . . . so I am giving all that stuff to my first grandson to list on E-bay. What is one man's treasure is bound to be a FEW other people's treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            The wife and I have discussed what will happen to all our cherished collectables (like above and the 100+ salt and pepper shakers from all the places we've been world-wide) and the answer is always the same . . . dumpster . . . so I am giving all that stuff to my first grandson to list on E-bay. What is one man's treasure is bound to be a FEW other people's treasure.
            That was exactly my feeling. But I wanted my treasured T&FNs to find a good home, and they did.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Atticus lonewolf I used to do that with SI and Nat Geo but had to stop. Like you said Lonewolf, what am I going to do with all of them?

I have that personality type...and realized...and had to reign-in.

CDs - I'm a huge heavy metal fan and have 600+. I know people with 20 or 30 X that much. I don't know how they listen to them all. What I want is a heavily vetted collection that I can get through in a year with relative ease, and preferably 2-3 times a year.
              Scott, sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
              X